Do you use sunscreen when outside in the summer?

Emma

I always get yelled at by family and friends that I need to put some on or else I will look like a leather handbag when I am in my 40s or worse, I will get skin cancer. I never made a habit of using it and I know how to find share to give my skin a break from the sun. I started using coconut oil a few years back as it has natural SPF in it and I feel like that is all I need. I never burn either. Sunscreen (or block) doesn't even prevent cancer. If anything, you are just baking chemicals into your skin that will increase your risk of cancer elsewhere in the body! Maybe I am a bit too paranoid about things but I just don't like putting chemicals on my skin. 

Do you use sunscreen when outside int he summer? 

• Like 1

The Arizona sun is very hot and I always put on sunscreen. In the summer time I do cover up most of my skin before I go out on a run (long running pants, long sleeved shirt with high neck, hat and sunglasses) so only really need to sunscreen my hands and face in the summer. 

If I do not I would burn and I do not like the pain of a sun burn so it is something I try to avoid at all costs. The burning is the reason I use sunscreen if I didn't burn then I likely wouldn't put it on either. I do not like rubbing oils all over myself. 

Honestly, I would recommend using actual sunscreen lotion. Coconut oil may have natural spf, but it's not nearly enough to protect from the sun's rays. You'll want to have an SPF of 30 or higher the better. Coconut oil might protect for a very short period of time, but it doesn't have enough power to block most of the sun's rays. If you're worried about chemicals in sunscreen, consider finding alternative sunscreens without the stuff you don't want. Either way, sunscreen isn't going to kill you as fast as skin cancer would. 

You're right though OP, no matter what, the sun will damage your skin. That's why we need to limit our time in the sun. 

• Like 1

I always believed our bodies are designed to be here and only in recent time has cancer been an issue in relation to the sun. When it started happening more was when people started spending less time outdoors, the irony of that! My doctor told me that as long as you are eating healthy and spending enough time outside (have good D3 levels) then the only place you really need to use the stuff is on your face so that is where I use it and I have no issues. I think for people who burn easy, it is no so much of an option. 

• Like 1

I use it on my face (and my scalp by my part-line if I am in direct sunlight) when I know I will be outside longer than 30 minutes. I don't worry about other areas as I don't burn and I always use aloe vera after coming in to help replenish my skin after. 

• Like 1