How can I convince a friend to end her relationship?

Stacey

I have a friend who's fiance is a terrible guy. He always talks down to her, makes fun of her, and judges her for her past. Recently when a group of us were out to eat together, he told her not to order what she wanted because she looked like she had gained 10 pounds. She got a salad that she barely ate. She thinks nothing of it and I feel like it is only because he has money. She doesn't work and relies on him completely. They are going to be getting married in March and I feel like she will be making a mistake. How can I convince her to end it?

• Like 1

If you have tried already to speak with her, sometimes you gotta let her make the mistake of marrying the guy. Only then will she know if it was a good idea for her to get married or not. But to me, it sounds like he's a horrible person for her and she is probably feeling stuck. 

I would recommend taking her aside and just asking if she is okay with him being that way towards her, and ask he if she wants to be respected? She should speak with her soon to be husband. 

• Like 1

I would tell her like it is. She is in an abusive relationship, whether she likes to admit to it or not. Tell her you are not going to just sit by and let her make a mistake without at least talking to her about it. You can't force her to end it, she is going to have to want to end it herself. Just don't get loud or angry with her. Part of her has to know the way he is treating her is not okay.

• Like 1

Honestly, you gotta let her know you're worried about her, and how you feel. Because it's fair to be worried about a friend, especially if that friend could possibly be in an abusive relationship. Have an intervention type thing where she has to listen to you guys. 

But, I don't know what I would do. Some couples can be possessive, so if you talk to the husband, he may stop you from seeing your friend too. So I think the best bet, is to find a way to speak with her in private so her husband doesn't know. 

• Like 1

I have a friend who married an abusive man. The night of her wedding, she had a black eye. I know because I saw her the next day in the morning and she didn't have it at the wedding. She is still with him but we no-longer talk. He was addicted to steroids and took out his rage on her. She ended up losing 70 pounds because of her drug addiction to ADHD medication and excess drinking. I tried to reason with her before, during, and after the wedding. I got sick of seeing her allow herself to be hurt and I told her I can't keep doing it. We haven't seen each other or spoken in 7 years now. I only know she is still with him because a mutual friend was talking to her recently. Sometimes there is nothing you can do. 

• Like 1