Family that can't be chill during the holidays

Lana

Do you have family that when they come by for the holidays, they always have to comment about the way you're living or what you're doing. I have a fair share of family that do this. Every Thanksgiving I get to deal with my annoying cousins and aunt and uncle. Who are often asking me about my job, work, and then when I say the good stuff about my life, they judge me about it. Even my accomplishments, they act like they don't matter. 

As well, we have family who are split on politics as well, and that always comes up. I hate it so much. Do you ever deal with this? 

• Like 1

I had some family who were like this. They were more judgmental of my mom than me growing up. Anything I wouldn't be doing or doing became and issue of insult for them. So if I wouldn't be doing good in school, they would basically make a point to brag about my cousins and then put her down. She became pretty competitive as I got older and would use me and my one brother to rub stuff in their faces. It made me hate the holidays for awhile. I opted to work on holidays when I was old enough for a job just to avoid it all. 

• Like 1

Anytime family tries to do this stuff, I just walk away. I will usually pretend my phone is ringing or I have to use the bathroom. If they try to circle back again, I will avoid them and talk to someone else. I don't like to be nagged to or at and most people in my family know that I will just avoid them if they do that now lol

• Like 1

I never really had this issue myself but a few people in my family have. It was cousins of mine. They had a very helicopter mom mother. She would constantly talk about them to everyone and even put them down in front of family. I haven't seen them in a few years now but I know one moved out soon as he was 18 because he was sick of her treating him like he was 5 years old. 

• Like 1

I hate when family acts up during the holidays. It's why we try not to ever bring up politics or anything in the news, as it always gets an argument going. There has been times where I didn't even want to go home for the holidays, because people throw a fit so much during it. My uncle alone has to talk about how Trump was wronged, and all this. And then it gets my family who's pro-Biden going. 

• Like 1