Do you think people obsess too much about gender and color today?

Mila

When I was growing up, no one really thought about it. At least not in my family or my neighborhood. We kind of just all got along. Even with mixed politics and religion, people treated each other fairly. Today you can't have more than a few conversations without gender or skin color being brought up. People have become obsessed and I don't understand why or what happened to cause this. I noticed it with some of my friends and family members. They make everything out to be something of gender, race, religion, or general stereotypes and it annoys me. 

• Like 1

Yes I can say I feel this shift happening too. 

I have never cared what someone looked liked, what religion they chose to follow, or what their medical history is. None of those things ever mattered to me. 

It is starting to feel like these things are starting to creep back into normal everyday conversation and it is a bit concerning. 

Hopefully it is just a short term trend. 

As an employer the only thing I care about is does the work get done. As a landlord the only thing I worry about is does the rent get paid. As a friend the only thing I worry about is can we get along. 

I was raised to never judge a book by its cover. I raise my children the same way. 

I think a lot of good has come from it but the over-awareness has started a trend of people being too sensitive. I know for my one friend, she will see racism in everything. I have spent less and less time with her/around her because of it. She is mixed and I don't know how to talk about these topics. I don't want to say the wrong thing so I avoid her. I feel terrible. 

• Like 1

Prior to maybe 2017ish, I had never given a second thought about gender or skin color. It wasn't something I ever focused on. No one I knew did this either. We were just ourselves and treated each other like decent human beings. Since then though, I noticed I not only find myself focused on it more but everyone I know. Some people I had to stop talking to because they became basically racist. I think this was down to the media downplaying black crimes and making white crimes out to be a terrorist level threat. That and they told me they kept getting called white supremacist over and over again. One lost his job because a woman he worked with misheard him and thought he said something racist but he didn't. I feel like the media and the government is doing this crap on purpose. 

• Like 1

Oh yes. I have been saying this for years now. No one listened to me. Now it is everywhere. So much so, grown adults are pandering to children as young as 3 years old about gender issues which is not acceptable, nor is CRT being forced on kids. I ma glad places like Florida outlawed it in schools. 

• Like 1