Overreactions?

Ella

Have you ever known someone who overacts to everything? I have a family friend like this and she will get upset or angry over the littlest things and she become so toxic and mean about it. One example is when her son (who is 17) went to get food for him and his friend who happened to be over. They didn't ask her if she wanted anything so she got very angry and started yelling at him over it. I happened to be there to witness it. She clearly overreacted in this situation. 

How do you handle people like this when they are targeting you or targeting someone else to you (talking about them to you in a mean/selfish manner)?

• Like 1

I think I would have trouble spending time with people that spend their time at the extremes. 

People targeting you this way can likely be ignored. The extremist is looking for some kind of reaction so why give it to them. 

When people like to talk to me about other people in a negative way I try to stay away from those conversations too. Typically bringing up if you have a problem with someone else you should likely talk to the person you have a problem with and not someone else. 

Sometimes it can be as easy as a conversation. 

The easiest way is to not give them a reaction. Let them be the loudest and most ignorant sounding person. Eventually they will hear themselves and feel stupid. If they are really stubborn, you can record them every time they have these outbursts and show them how they are reacting. Tell them you are not going to spend time with them unless they make some effort to change.

• Like 1

There will always be people like this. Some of them know they do it and correct themselves while others are completely oblivious and if you point it out as an issue, they will be personally insulted and offended. I lost a friend over this. She was the same way you described. She ended up turning a few people against me but a year or so down the road, we got back in touch and they agreed with me about her. I am not sure you can fix this kind of issue with someone. I would much rather burn bridges at this point. Life is too short.

• Like 1