How To Overcome Mysophobia

TopicStarter

First off, let’s begin with a simple question. What happens when you have a business meeting to attend? If you get nervous and beads of sweat roll down the neck at the thought of having to meet and shake hands with everyone out there, you probably suffer from mysophobia.

Personal hygiene is a good thing, but it isn’t a great thing if you keep washing your hands to the extent of scraping the skin off. If you do so, you might be suffering from mysophobia. Fear of germs, or mysophobia, if you may call so, is anomalous. 

No doubt, germs are found anywhere and everywhere, and proper hygiene is necessary. No matter how many precautions you take, you’re bound to attract germs, dirt, and bacteria's. But, if you’ve been suffering from mysophobia, you must know how the fear of germs keeps meddling with daily life. 

No other phobias wear you out as much as mysophobia does. But, worry not! The good news is that mysophobia is treatable. 

Here’s my advice to overcome mysophobia:

#1 Unlearn what you know: While trying to overcome mysophobia, you’ll have to educate yourself with correct facts and information to unlearn what causes panic and anxiety in the first place. For this, I suggest you read books on germs and bacterias for they’ll help you to manage fear and anxiety. Educating yourself will be the first step to overcome mysophobia.

#2 Talk to your friend or family members: If overcoming mysophobia is beyond your control, I’d suggest you talk to a close friend or a family member. Do not be embarrassed to share what you’re going through. Their love and support will help you in overcoming your fear of germs.

#3 Seek professional help: Despite countless efforts, there might be a time where overcoming your phobia might seem like a challenge. And so, what I’d suggest is that you seek help from professionals. 

The therapists might prescribe you certain medications which will not only help you to manage anxiety. They will also teach you techniques to suppress the behaviors that are meddling with your daily life. The right therapist will not only help you to overcome phobia but will also prepare you to lead a healthy life.

#4 Exposure therapy: One of the best ways to overcome mysophobia is to go for exposure therapy. One of my friends tried this, and it worked wonders. You’ll be exposed to your fears little by little in a controlled environment. And as time passes by, you’ll overcome your phobia. 

Is mysophobia something you have had to overcome? What steps did you take to help yourself get through?

• Like 1

I have only ever known of this as germaphobia. I have never had an issue with it but I did date a guy who had this issue. He would wash his hands 50 or more times a day and couldn't touch doorknobs, light switches, toilet handles, or anything of the sort. He would carry wipes or tissue with him everywhere. I thought nothing of it but it started to get worse the more stressed out he became. 

• Like 1

I believe this is the most common phobia there is because it comes in a diverse range of severity. I know some people who have very mild cases of it where they won't be able to eat things that are not properly washed or they will over-wash dishes, things like that. Then you have people who can't do human contact out of fear of germs which I would say is a more extreme case. 

• Like 1