How To Overcome Emotional Immaturity

TopicStarter

At some point in your life, you must have acted immaturely and handled situations rather foolishly. But with little effort, you can overcome this. 

When living in a society, it is mostly expected that the older you grow, the more mature you become. But that’s not always the case, is it? Sometimes, you grow up with a lack of emotional maturity. You end up acting like a child, failing to recognize your mistakes and owning up when wrong. 

If you do this, the chances are that your interpersonal relationships will be affected adversely. To overcome an emotional state like this is not an easy task, and more often than not, requires a conscious effort on your part. 

Without this, you will lose out on crucial relations in life as you would fail to value their importance. 

An emotionally immature person often lashes out on others when their own mistakes are brought to light. Now, you don’t expect that from adults, do you? So, I will be talking about a few suggestions that would enable you to overcome this problem. 

#1 Put yourself in the other person’s shoes: This is one of the most effective methods that emotionally mature people use to handle difficult circumstances. In a conflict situation, always try to take the other person’s place and reflect from their standpoint. 

Things would start looking a lot different when you take their perspectives into consideration. The best thing is to take a step back before hurling your points at them. Calm down, rethink and then respond. 

#2 There is no need to be always right: To accept that you are wrong can be difficult at times. But you are a human and bound to make mistakes. So, when someone tells you that you’re wrong, ponder on it before coming to a conclusion. Know that they might also be right. 

Sometimes, it is okay to let someone win an argument or have the last word. You may even feel that they are wrong, but how important is winning this argument for you? Not more than your peace of mind, I believe. That’s why, it’s important to know which battles to pick and the ones not to. 

#3 Work on yourself: When you are content from within, you exude positivity. And this is one of the most crucial aspects of emotional maturity. Take good care of your body and mind, and learn to value them. Focusing on what is good would help you remain emotionally stable. 

Have you had to overcome emotional immaturity? What steps did you take to get through this obstacle?

• Like 1

I feel like a lot of adults these days have issues with needing to be right all the time. I see this in my own family. Some of them are even in their 50's and 60's. They won't be changing at that point. Too set in their ways. If you are young enough, work on it now! 

• Like 1