Starting your own freelance service instead

Brenden

Has anyone here attempted to start their own freelance service? Maybe a service like Fiverr or Upwork or any freelance site where it pays people who work there. I wonder how much it would cost to set up your own site like this. I figure if I get a cut per sale, much like those other sites, it would just require me to have some sort of platform for people to put their jobs on. If I can figure that out, I'm sure I could easily make it into some freelance site. 

Would you give it a shot? 

• Like 1

I would likely only hop into this market if I had a tight niche that was being under represented. 

It is expensive to get platforms going because you needs sellers and you need buyers. That is going to be a lot of traffic you are going to have to buy because no one will know about the platform. Your sellers will not list services if there is no one around to buy them and your buyers wont stick around the platform if there is nothing to buy. 

Fiverr spent $7.2m on media placements in 2019. That is a pretty tough wall to climb. 

• Like 1

I thought of trying my hand at it. Had a site name and domain, all the works. I was ready to stick with it and go but then I got discouraged. It is insanely hard to start something like this on your own, especially with little to no money to invest. You would need to find investors to back your idea. 

• Like 1

On 11/11/2021 at 9:11 PM, Scarlett said:

I thought of trying my hand at it. Had a site name and domain, all the works. I was ready to stick with it and go but then I got discouraged. It is insanely hard to start something like this on your own, especially with little to no money to invest. You would need to find investors to back your idea. 

This is what a lot of people overlook. Investors make a HUGE different! Most successful online startups have investors. You need a lot of money for advertising alone. 

• Like 1

Yeah, if you had a different spin to a freelance site, and made it something unique and new, then you may have something. But there is so many freelance sites out there, that you'd really need to stand out compared to all the others out there. 

• Like 1