When they make it all about themselves?

Mila

I know a few people in my social circle (friends and family) who do this. When you talk to them about your issues or anything happening in your life, they change the subject to be about them. A prime example would be when they ask you "How have you been?" and you respond "Good, but tired as I have not been sleeping to great." then they quickly respond with "Oh, well I only get a few hours a night!..." and trail on from there. Then you have cases where they show no interest in what you are saying at all unless it pertains to themselves. 

How do you deal with this? Is there a way to stop this behavior with people by talking a certain way? 

• Like 1

I think it is something you just need to deal with if you are going to associate with that type of person. 

We can not control others so we can not change how they behave. 

I guess you could try letting them know they are always talking about themselves or looking to be the center of attention. I have not tried this line before but I think people that do this kind of thing are likely aware that they do. 

Oh yeah, I know people like that. They will make it sound like they want to hear about things, but then they go on and talk about themselves. Sucks, but sometimes you just gotta accept it. Or, like James said, just talk to them and let them know you want to talk about your problems too. Be honest with them, and let them know you want to talk about your problem as well. I think that's fair. It may sound weird, but I think a friend or family member would understand and will hear you out. 

• Like 1

I found being unresponsive helps. Just let them talk and don't give much feedback to what they are saying. Eventually they will either change the subject or get mad, either way the issue is solved. lol

My mother is kind of this way. When she spins stuff and wants to talk about herself, I have learned to tone her out and just let her gab on. 

• Like 1