Do you think getting a pet as a gift for a child is a good idea?

Ella

A friend of mine wants to get her 5 year old son a puppy for Christmas and to me, I think he is too young for that and I also thing it should be something he has earned, not just given as a gift. I think the process would be better if she waits 2 or 3 years and allows him to be part of the process of picking a puppy out so it feels more special to him. What are your thoughts on this?

• Like 1

For an older child, I see no issue with it. A young child though likely won't understand the concept and I agree that it would likely mean more for them to be a part of the process. So at the very least, gifting them a letter that tells them they will be able to pick out a pet in the near future is better.

• Like 1

Pets are great for children. It teaches them about the process of life. 

Giving pets as a gift though I have never really been a fan of. You will want the child to have buyin with the pet so it's better if they stumble into your lives via chance (finding a stray puppy on a walk), or having the child be part of the adoption process. 

I think 5 years old is plenty fine as children are learning responsibility around that time and a pet can be fun to take care of. 

This is something that should be a family event in and of itself. I never understood the appeal of getting a kitten or puppy for a child for Christmas. There is so much going on and most of these pets end up getting neglected. Just from what I have seen, I know this is a fact. 

• Like 1