How much does the average 1,400 square-foot house cost in utilities each month?

Mila

I would consider a 1,400 sq ft house to be average. Not small but not large. This is likely the size I would be buying for my first home. I am trying to get an idea of how much utilities cost on a month to month basis for something this size. I know it differs depending on where you live but what is considered the national average for each utility?  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/30/2021 at 7:47 PM, James said:

This is going to very from area to area as power costs, natural gas, and environment is different all over the world. 

According to EnergyStar.Gov the typical family based in the United States spends $2,060 on average per annum for utility bills.

So that is around $170 a month? That is a lot less than I would have guessed! Between sewage/trash, gas, water, and electric we typically pay like $260 a month and it is just the two of us and our cats! 

• Like 1

I find that some areas pay MUCH less. They tend to be areas where housing is spaced out more and resources aren't being as rapidly used up. Where mu husband and I live now, we pay around $140 a month for everything. It goes up a bit in the summer as we have the AC running 24/7 but it never gets to be over $200 a month. I believe our house is 1,560 sq ft to give you an idea.

• Like 1