Do you worry about what people think of you?

Damon

I've been someone with anxiety my whole life, including social anxiety. My thing is this, I feel like people may find me stupid when I talk, or they may look at me and consider to be funny or ugly. I have these thoughts a lot, well not as much these days, but growing up especially. These days that worry has calmed down a lot. But I still do worry about what people think of me. Especially people I'm just meeting. My brain races, thinking about what is going through their head. 

Idk, it's a thing I need to work on, because I shouldn't be worrying about what others think of me. 

• Like 1

I will be honest and say to a certain degree, I do. I don't like to not be liked but I also won't go out of my way to please people. I do worry more when I am having a conversation one on one or when I say things online. I don't want to come off as mean or have people thinking I am a nasty person.

• Like 1

I think this is always a concern. I try not to worry about it to much as I want people to like me and not some made up version of myself I put on just to make someone else happy. 

I preach to the kids the same thing not to worry about what others think. 

In the end though we are all building some kind of image and we do not like when that image gets tarnished. 

I have learned after engaging with so many different people that people either like me or they hate me. Not to many people I have found in the middle. I have some strange things about me like not knowing how to not smile. Which during certain situations having a smile on your face is a bad thing. 

I do not know I think being ourselves is a great filter to keep people away that do not align with your values. Anyone I meet that has a lot of problems and excuses for those problems likely will not get along with me because I will keep pointing out that they make choices that cause those problems and maybe better choices should be made. I have never gotten along well with people that like to play the victim. 

I used to get really nervous about going out to social gatherings or being around large groups of people I did not know. As long as it is related to business I will do fine since those are topics I love and have great stories for. 

Personally I tend not to put myself in those situations. I have never really had the desire to go out and seek more people to add to my social circle. I like having kids for this reason as they bring new people into your life. At least when you meet another parent with a kid that is around your kids age you have a ton in common already and can relate on so many different levels. 

I think my worry of what other people think comes at the concern of not wanting to get in a argument or any kind of confrontation. I could care less if people enjoy me or not. I just want to make it home without a black eye or any damage to myself.  

I have that issue somewhat. But I always get through it by talking with people and realizing they don't care that much about you. It's just our brains being jerks to us, trying to make it feel like everyone has something against you. 

I like what James said in his post above me, I am in the same boat. My worry is that if I talk with someone, they will be smarter than me, or they will start an argument or an argument would come up. I don't do good with confrontation, as that causes more anxiety than anything for me. 

• Like 1

Most people do but you have to get to a point where it has no hindering abilities on your life. No one is perfect and people who typically go out of their way to judge you or anyone else have a very poor view of themselves anyway. I used to worry all the time but the older I get, the more I care less about it.

• Like 1