Shortages in staff hurting small businesses

Emma

I am sure most people here are aware that they has been a staffing shortage for most businesses. I heard from a few people that said they had to quit because their job was expecting them to work over 50 hours a week due to people not getting hired. Of all the places being hurt by this the most, I think small businesses are getting hit the worst. When you have places like McDonald's paying out $16+ an hour to flip burgers, who would work at a smaller business for $10 an hour doing more work? I swear everything happening right now and everything that has been happening was done on purpose. They used the virus as an excuse. I just hope the right people in the right places start getting the truth out there. 

Have you noticed any more small businesses shutting down recently? In the last few months we have had at least 7 close within 10 minutes of where I live.

• Like 1

Crazy world out there right now. 

It is strange thinking about where all the workers went especially in hospitality and service industries. Not only from my own attempts at onboarding a team member do I see this happening but even my daughter and her first job. They keep trying to schedule her hours that would interfere with high school. My wife and I let her know she has the upper hand and they are just hurting for people right now so tell them what you can and can not do. 

Looks like the new young workforce has a prime opportunity to take over if the others do not want to go back to their old jobs. 

Have not seen many small businesses shut down in the recent months. Have seen limited hours and plenty of slower service though. Also have not seen very many openings of new businesses. 

Interesting times.

A friend of mine heard that one of our local hospitals started taking on staff from outside the US. Like no joke, they are hiring nurses and doctors from Mexico, Canada, and other close-by areas outside the country just because they wan't to get rid of anyone who will not be vaccinated. It is insanity! 

As for small businesses, I know of a few that are doing just fine and one that is looking to expand. I guess this depends on the niche. I would assume most smaller restaurants that require full staff to operate have shut their doors for good by now. 

• Like 1

I would say shortages in the workforce is hurting the economy as a whole. Most small businesses only have a small number of people working under them. They are less likely to need extra staff where as somewhere like Walmart relies on having hundreds of people work in one location to function. I have seen some locations of chain stores tank massively because they are understaffed. It isn't even worth shopping there anymore. 

• Like 1

Yeah there's a lot of places in my town that has openings. But people aren't going for the jobs for some odd reason. No longer are people getting unemployment or pandemic insurance, so idk why people aren't going back to work yet. 

Could be the worry about covid and that some aren't getting vaccinated, so they think it is safer to stay at home, idk. 

• Like 1