Moderating discord servers

Lana

A friend of mine is an admin of a discord server and he has been looking out for mods. It doesn't pay, but could result in possibly getting on the team to then get future work. I was wondering if it would be worth being a mod for them, if it gets me a possible job down the line. Should I give it a go? I'm cool with volunteering my time for a while, but I just hope it results in a paid job. 

• Like 1

If you enjoy the topic then giving your time is no problem at all. In the end communities are typically run by a group of volunteers. My last forum project (about 12 years ago now) I had a few moderators that gave a ton of time to site. Before shutting that site down I did make sure to reward that team. We made a lot of money together and I would not have been able to do it without them. They would get special perks though while they were giving their time. 

If you can find a way to enjoy the volunteering and maybe find a positive benefit to you it may be worth the opportunity. Such as if you are trying to establish yourself as an expert in that area being the admin of the channel can give you a lot of credibility which would make it easier for you to drive traffic to your own projects. The owners should not care as long as you are providing great value to the community. 

• Like 1