How To Overcome Pee Shyness

TopicStarter

Ever encountered those moments when you’re out and about, and your bladder is painfully full? You’ve gone to the public restroom but you don’t really use it. If this reminds you of the past, then you suffer from pee shyness.

Pee shyness, or shy bladder syndrome, as many call it, is not a freakish thing. Both men and women experience shy bladder syndrome. Moreover, what could be more embarrassing than encountering someone you know in the public restroom.

So, if you go through pee shyness, don’t freak out! First off, know that you are not alone. Thousands of people go through this. Shy bladder syndrome or pee shyness isn’t as simple as people think. Not only does it meddle with your daily life, but also affects your physical and mental health. 

If you avoid parties, sporting events, or staying out for long hours due to the fear of having to use the public restroom, you must seek help to overcome pee shyness. 

Here’s some advice on how to overcome pee shyness:

#1 Seek an expert’s help: If even the thought of using the public restroom gives you the heebie-jeebies, it’s time you visit a therapist. Since it has nothing to do with your physical health, a trip to the doctor will be of no use. 

Shy bladder syndrome is a social anxiety disorder just like public speaking. Sharing your fear with the therapist will help him to treat pee shyness so that you can use the public restroom next time without any anxiety. 

#2 Relaxation techniques: Undertaking relaxation techniques will help you overcome pee shyness. One such technique is the breath-hold technique which allows you to hold your breath for 40 secs. If you can do this, you can pee in public restrooms as well. 

Such relaxation techniques will help calm your nerves, thereby reducing anxiety. Practicing this frequently will help you to overcome pee shyness. 

#3 Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT): One of the most effective techniques to overcome pee shyness is Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. In this therapy, the therapist will address your shy bladder syndrome. He will expose you to the most comfortable situations to your worst nightmares. This will thereby furnish you with problem-solving solutions. Eventually, it will help you overcome pee shyness. 

#4 Medications: Pee shyness can be treated with certain medications. Hence, I suggest you visit a doctor. Certain antidepressants and anxiety-relieving medications will reduce anxiety which in turn will help you to overcome pee shyness.

Is pee shyness a problem you have faced? What steps did you take to make sure you were comfortably able to go pee? 

• Like 1

I have never had pee shyness but I have issues with number two. I can't go in public spaces. I was never able to go at school. I still struggle going at other people's houses even. I am not sure if that is common or not but I typically will force myself not to go to a point where I feel lousy for days. I try to eat much less when I know I will be out all day just to avoid it!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Stacey said:

I have never had pee shyness but I have issues with number two. I can't go in public spaces. I was never able to go at school. I still struggle going at other people's houses even. I am not sure if that is common or not but I typically will force myself not to go to a point where I feel lousy for days. I try to eat much less when I know I will be out all day just to avoid it!

I can relate to this problem you are not alone. When I used to travel a lot for work I had to make sure I was never sharing a room with the rest of the team so I was still able to take a poop.