Forget perfection.

MotivationDistrictYT

Life is a juggling act. There are many areas of life to attend to, such as our health, wellness, relationships, friendships, careers, and more. Unfortunately, we have been conditioned to think that we must attain and maintain perfection in every aspect of our lives. Realistically, this is impossible to do. When we focus our time and energy on one area of life, it detracts from our ability to focus on another. For example, if we focus on perfecting our relationships, this may lead to setbacks in our other relationships. Acknowledging that perfection cannot be attained in all aspects of our lives is not pessimistic; it is just reality. 

Because of this, the narrator argues that our focus should be on trying our best to balance everything. This means that we should not neglect or obsess over any individual area of life over another. Most things are passing and fleeting. Perfection is fleeting and requires long-term maintenance. 

Throughout the video, the narrator encourages a balanced life over a perfect one. Life is not stagnant and changes day-to-day. The narrator points out that we have been conditioned to think that we are not happy because our lives are not perfect. Happiness does not mean side-stepping imperfection. Happiness is rooted in acknowledging and accepting all that is. There are constant problems to fix in our lives. Because of this, the narrator encourages his audience to let go of the idea of perfection. 

This video can be accessed here: 

I struggled with this growing up and still have moments of it now. If I can't be perfect at something, it completely discourages me from doing it. I was going to learn to play the piano but after 3 lessons of still struggling, I gave up. I know now if I had stuck it out, I would have learned it eventually but that voice of perfection nagged me. 

6 hours ago, Emma said:

I struggled with this growing up and still have moments of it now. If I can't be perfect at something, it completely discourages me from doing it. I was going to learn to play the piano but after 3 lessons of still struggling, I gave up. I know now if I had stuck it out, I would have learned it eventually but that voice of perfection nagged me. 

If you have enough passion or drive to get something you will learn. I was the same way with the Piano and I gave it up because I was not putting in the practice time while paying for my lessons. Apparently it was just something I did not want that bad otherwise I would have put the time in. 

Perfection does not exist and consistent improvement is what we have to chase. It takes a long time to learn new skills and nothing comes instant. 

• Like 1

I always thought of "perfection" as an art form. To some people, the idea of perfection comes at different grades, levels, and achievements. Much like art, it is all about perception, acceptation, and how you view the world around you. This is why it can't exist in the literal sense of the word. Anything and nothing can be art, same with perfection.  

• Like 2

On 9/29/2021 at 5:40 PM, James said:

If you have enough passion or drive to get something you will learn. I was the same way with the Piano and I gave it up because I was not putting in the practice time while paying for my lessons. Apparently it was just something I did not want that bad otherwise I would have put the time in. 

Perfection does not exist and consistent improvement is what we have to chase. It takes a long time to learn new skills and nothing comes instant. 

You are right. I think that is where I struggle. Like I can be passionate about something one day and feel like giving up the next. That is where I run into issues. I am working on it though. I know perfection is just not attainable in real life and I need to accept that. 

• Like 1