Slow down. Be mindful.

MotivationDistrictYT

Building off of other videos from Motivation District, this video addresses the concept of being free. Throughout the video, the narrator encourages his audience to engage in meditation and mindfulness. Mindfulness can simply be defined as being present, “in the moment,” and allowing your thoughts and feelings to run free. While simply stated, it is important to remind ourselves that we are an operating extension of the universe. Being present allows us to connect deeper with our surroundings. Judgment, rejection, and other discouragements often hinder our ability to freely think. These discouragements can come from others and media, but most frequently comes from within. We are often our worst critics and internalize these abhorrent feelings. In order to be truly free, we must learn how to unpack and address these feelings. 

Similarly, the narrator discusses the importance of regularly slowing down and decompress. Society as a whole has become so accustomed to living in survival mode, amid chaos and clutter. We work ourselves to the bone to have things we cannot afford and are too overwhelmed to enjoy. Likewise, technology has become our main source of connection. Many argue that our reliance on technology has gotten to a point where many have forgotten how to form genuine relationships with others. 

By slowing down, the narrator believes that we will: 

• Decrease our stress
  • Be better equipped to improve our mindsets
  • Learn more about our truest self, and 
  • Learn to practice mindfulness

By removing ourselves from consumer-driven mindsets, we have a better chance at finding true happiness and peace. In addition to this, I believe that through practicing mindfulness and presentness, we will have a better sense of control over our lives and will be more accepting of events that are outside our control. This process, however, is one that never stops and must always be fine-tuned.

This video is a must-watch for those interested in beginning their journey into mindfulness. This video is also great for those who have been practicing but need reminder and encouragement. This video can be accessed below: 

This kind of reminds me of stoicism. I have been pretty fascinated with that as of late. It seems many of us have lost the ability to just be in the moment and forget time. It is scary that we are so structured around a clock now, is it any wonder so many people are overly stressed out? 

• Like 1

On 9/27/2021 at 8:15 PM, Stacey said:

stoicism

Can someone explain what this is to me? I recently heard the term being used but I am having trouble understanding what it means. It seems like people seem to have their own perceptions of it which is making it confusing for me. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Ella said:

Can someone explain what this is to me? I recently heard the term being used but I am having trouble understanding what it means. It seems like people seem to have their own perceptions of it which is making it confusing for me. 

Stoicism: the endurance of pain or hardship without the display of feelings and without complaint

So I can relate this back to cycling or running for me. When it gets hard what do you do? What do you look like? Do you look like you are getting your butt kicked?

If you can keep the smile on and keep those positive thoughts going when your mind is going to dark places that would be an example of stoicism. It is all about remaining mentally strong. 

• Like 2

On 9/30/2021 at 8:00 PM, James said:

Stoicism: the endurance of pain or hardship without the display of feelings and without complaint

So I can relate this back to cycling or running for me. When it gets hard what do you do? What do you look like? Do you look like you are getting your butt kicked?

If you can keep the smile on and keep those positive thoughts going when your mind is going to dark places that would be an example of stoicism. It is all about remaining mentally strong. 

Spot on! It seems like a lot of people are becoming more aware of this way of thinking and overcoming issues in their lives and it is a health approach. Understand why you can't change and do what you can to change the things within your means. 

• Like 1

On 9/30/2021 at 8:00 PM, James said:

Thanks! This makes more sense especially with your own person example. So the entire idea is that you keep pushing forward and don't let your negative emotions hinder your ability?

• Like 1