I know a couple who talks to each other horribly!

Ella

A friend of my husband's parents came over for a weekend BBQ we did a few weekends back and it has bothered me since. The way they talk about each other and to each other, it is not nice. I won't use the real couples' names, let's just call them Bob and Sue. 

Sue was commenting on how lazy and spineless Bob was behind his back. Bob didn't say much behind Sue's back, but he would make remarks publicly with her there saying things like "Talking to her is like talking to a brick wall, she never listens!". I couldn't believe they had been married for 35 years. 

How does a couple who talks like this about each other stay married? They can't be happily married, can they? 

• Like 1

This sounds like my boyfriend's parents. I have never seen them hug, kiss, hold hands... Nothing. They are constantly calling each other names and talking to each other like they are stupid. I think for some couples, this is just normal because this is all they know. Two toxic people end up married because no one else will deal with them!

• Like 1

Overtime we become pretty comfortable with the people we are with. This could just be who they are. Listening to people that are older is always interesting because the way they communicate is usually so much different then the way someone in their 20s or 30s would communicate. 

To me there is something refreshing about the bluntness to just say what is on your mind. The other side is tough enough to handle it and can likely dish it out just as well. 

Sometimes I bet you the bickering and saying mean things to each other is part of some kind of foreplay 😛