Should you hinder your growth not to outgrow others?

Ella

I always wondered this. It seems like in a lot of friendships and relationships, people do this. They will outgrow these people but they will still keep them in their lives, even if it means acting differently for them or putting up with things they no longer want to. 

• Like 1

No you should never slow down for anyone else. Keep building the best version of you that you possibly can. We only get to live one life so make it the best that it can be. 

Relationships will change and morph over time. If your drive does not inspire those around you to drive harder you likely eventually will start to grow apart. This is the natural progression of life. 

• Like 1

I have a friend who did this for her mother's sake and she regrets it every day. She could have had her dream job but because her mother guilt-tripped her into not moving out of state, she lost the opportunity. If someone every expects you to hinder your life for their own sake, they are not friends or family in my book... They are just leaches! 

• Like 2

Thank you for your answers. I agree with all of you. It doesn't make any sense to let your life go by just to make others feel better in their own. I think in some ways, it is okay to be selfish and think about yourself. If we don't put any importance or value in our time, no one else will do it for us!

• Like 1