How To Overcome The Fear Of Spiders

TopicStarter

First of all, I'd like you to know that fear is fear, and none of the types is more valid or gruesome than the other.

However, if you suffer from an intense fear of spiders, then I completely understand. You might become the center of the jokes for “irrationally” fearing spiders way too much, but arachnophobia is a real thing, and you shouldn’t beat yourself up for that.

For those who don’t know, spiders belong to the arachnid class of the arthropod phylum. They can incite nightmares in a few of us and being an arachnophobe myself, I can totally relate to your situation. 

That’s why today, I am going to share a few of my coping mechanisms to tone down your fear of spiders. I hope these measures will prove helpful: 

#1 Do the research: I know it sounds pretty ruthless to spend your time reading and knowing about the thing that freaks you out the most. But trust me, I know what I’m talking about.

Researching about spiders actually helped me out. I found out that they do not bite humans unless deliberately triggered. And even if they do, most of the spiders are non-venomous. 

Additionally, knowing about the various species and being able to differentiate one from the other provides a sense of security. It’ll help you stay at ease because you’ll have that assurance of knowing how to deal with a spider bite.

#2 Face your fear: again, a deadly suggestion, but an effective one for sure. Accept and acknowledge that you have this innate fear, and you’ll overcome it at your own pace. Also, be patient with yourself and trust the process. When you spot a spider, focus on your breathing and try to slow it down, taking in all the oxygen that you can.

#3 Keep trying: start by tackling small spiders by yourself, but I’ll say this isn’t crucial, and you are under no obligation to do this. You can always ask for help from your dear ones. But, if you decide to tackle it alone, your confidence will eventually grow. Start out with the small ones and if you can muster the courage, move on to slightly bigger ones eventually.

#4 Counselling: not everything can be dealt with individually, and it’s completely fine to seek professional guidance. A combination of medications and counseling will help you out in the long run.

Is this a fear you have had to overcome? What steps did you take to get through it?

• Like 1

I used to have a bad fear of spiders to the point where I couldn't even be in the same room as them, if I had seen one. Then I was forced to move back in with my parents and had to stay in the basement. It was clean but unfinished. I had to learn to accept begin around them. I used bug traps and sprays. Eventually i was able to kill them myself. I still have a fear but I can override it now. 

• Like 1

I am not a fan of bugs. Will typically move away if they come near me and I do not feel like killing them. There are some strange spiders out there. I don't mind the daddy long legs though I welcome those guys. Anything I can hear walking across our tile floors is to much and I will typically get one of my kids to take care of it :P. 

23 hours ago, James said:

I am not a fan of bugs. Will typically move away if they come near me and I do not feel like killing them. There are some strange spiders out there. I don't mind the daddy long legs though I welcome those guys. Anything I can hear walking across our tile floors is to much and I will typically get one of my kids to take care of it :P. 

I am almost certain those daddy long leggers were once called "dainty long leggers" and it bothers me to this day that I can't prove it! It makes way more sense because they have dainty legs. Also, they can't bite through our skin and I don't even think they are spiders. I could be wrong though. My brother used to tell me the red ones were poisonous so I would panic as a kid if I saw one.  

• Like 1