Ways to overcome sugar addiction?

Stacey

I don't think I have it as bad as others but I always have a taste and a desire to consume something sweet on a daily basis. I usually limit it to one thing be it a can of soda, a candy bar, or a bowl of ice cream but even when I limit myself, it still ends up being a lot of sugar. I would like to get to a point where I only eat something sweet once a week but when I have tried to cut it our for days at a time, I felt awful. 

I can relate. The wife always buys junk for the kids and I try my hardest to stay away. Sometimes my mind gets the best of me and I give in. It is rough but over time I have slowly reduced my intake of garbage foods. I still am not 100% sugar food free but I am getting closer. Here are some things that have helped me stay away from the munchies:

Drink more water - I know you hear this one all the time. It works. I love water so much now and 10 years ago I drank beer and soda with very little water.

Eat more fruit - I see zero problem with natural sugars and if your body is craving something sweet give it that something with a piece of fruit. Food from nature tends to be way easier on our systems. 

Eat some nuts - I love cashews, pecans, almonds, and walnuts. They are a good calorie source and when paired with water as a chaser they will fill you up fast. 

Heck the easiest thing for me would be just to not have junk in the house because I tend to only eat what is easily available. We want that kids to eat healthy too but it is so expensive to buy all fresh foods all the time for the family of 6 so sometimes some easy sweets for them are the way to go. So that is not an option for our family at this moment of time. When they all grow up and move out though I can only imagine what my wife will have stocked for just to two of us. 

Anyone else have any tips on staying away from the sugars?

What I did anytime I crave sugar is I drink a bottle of water and wait 10 minutes. Then I have a sweet treat. Because I have a bunch of water in my stomach, I eat way less and because I am eating something sweet, I have to drink water with it as well which keeps me from eating a lot. So I will have a bottle of water, then say 4 cookies (a typical serving) and because of the water, I am satisfied from just that. 

• Like 1