What was the biggest raise you received while working for another person/business?

Sophia

I am curious to see what people have made in terms of raises. I recently found out that most raises are only 3 to 4% of your overall earnings. That seems so low!

Thinking back to some of the jobs I had, they were just generic raises because I worked for a chain company. I never actually got a promotion or something. 

• Like 1

3 - 5% seems like normal rates for standard raises. A lot of jobs I have worked even had caps in place for positions so the wage would never get to high. 

Now in the case of a promotion a larger a raise may be achieved. 

As a owner of a business that had a large team at one point I think bonuses worked best for getting people to really excel and if the company was profitable you may be able to give out a standard annual raise as long as the performance evaluations were good. 

At one point we were really generous with raises and it did not seem to buy more loyalty or better work.  

I went up a couple dollars. That was about it. I think it was something like $2.30 and this was because of a position change. I think James is right, it is rare to get a promotion over 5% of your wages. So depending on what you earn it might only be a few hundred extra a year or a few thousand. It doesn't seem like much but it makes a difference. 

• Like 1

I am not sure that I ever really got one. I am thinking back to the odds and ends jobs I had and I don't recall ever getting a raise outside of the standard ones that everyone gets. I do wonder how often people get them because it doesn't seem to be a common thing in my area. 

• Like 1