Do you think fat acceptance hurts more than it helps?

Carson

Do you guys think that fat acceptance is dangerous? In that it glamorises obesity and being overweight. I think anyone who's overweight or obese and go out and praise it's okay to be fat, is doing a dangerous thing. 

I'm all for people being happy at any weight, but when you praise being overweight and make it a lifestyle even, you're killing yourself, but also putting bad ideas into young peoples minds. 

What do you think? Do you think fat acceptance is just about being okay in your own body? I personally think it's an excuse to use when you don't want to lose weight. I know people who don't want to try to lose weight, so instead they claim they love the way they look. I just view it as lazy. 

And I used to be overweight and know that it can be dangerous to your body. I just don't think it should be glamorized or made to look "good". 

• Like 2

I think in some regards it is, but I think everyone should be happy in their own bodies, and shouldn't feel like they will be made fun of for being overweight or obese. I am all for the acceptance, but I also think they need to accept the risks that comes with living a lifestyle like that. It's fine to be a little overweight, but when it's to a point where your knees hurt from walking, or you can barely breath, it's time to change. 

I have nothing against people who do want to be obese or overweight. It's their choice. But I do have a problem when they start to say they are healthy at any weight. I'm sorry, but that isn't true. I've known too many in my family with weight problems to know that.

• Like 2

In the long run, yes. I am all for people feeling good about themselves but to lie and say obesity is beautiful, sexy, etc. is just ignorant. It is not any of those things. It is a giant health risk. If you want to be obese and you are happy about it, that is on you but for people to go around lying to kids, teens, and young adults saying they can gorge themselves to death and it is beautiful is disgusting. Health = Beauty. 

• Like 1

I think it is important to accept ourselves. 

I also think it is important to work on constantly improving ourselves. 

The normalization of obesity is dangerous and it is just one of many things that are being normalized. We have been through this before though. 

If we look back in history being overweight used to be a sign of wealth. You were able to afford food to feed yourself and your family. 

I like to live life the way I want without other people impeding on that so I extend that curtesy to others. I was once a pretty big guy but I never thought of myself at that point of my life as being good looking. Then again I was not depressed about being fat... 

All this acceptance stuff is interesting. I never cared what other people were doing already and I did not go out of my way to make anyone feel bad about themselves but the way society is going where we need to watch what we say at risk of offending someone else is just a slippery slope. We will never all think the same way and that is what makes life great. 

Where I start having issues with other people are when they are overweight and they are talking to me about their problems and you ask well how often do you exercise? Then they say they don't but are trying. Or do you track calories? Then they say they don't but are trying. 

When people start to play the victim card like they are helpless that is when I get annoyed. It would be nice if we could be more accountable with ourselves. 

If you truly love and care about yourself, you wouldn't want to be fat and stay fat. That isn't showing love or respect for yourself but rather the complete opposite. Carrying extra wait should not be shamed in society but being obese should be. Not in a mean way but in a way that discourages it. Obese people tend to have the highest medical costs, debts, and medical issues in general in the US. Many of them don't even work because of their weight causing medical issues that make it hard for them. So they end up on government aid. I like the concept of having a "fat tax" where food that is bad for us costs more and food that is healthier costs less. It makes sense to have it this way.

• Like 1