How To Overcome Bulimia

TopicStarter

Imagine this - you’re watching a movie, binging on a large packet of chips, when your favorite actor makes an appearance. 

Against a gorgeous backdrop, this ab-crunching, weightlifting, bicep bulging fitness freak walks into the screen to take your breath away. So, now instead of watching the film, you stand in front of the mirror and look at your tummy. 

For far too long, society has imprinted an image of what a healthy body should look like. Naturally, many people today have bulimia, whereby they consider themselves unhealthy even when they are not. 

Don’t get me wrong; I’m not promoting obesity. The fact is that people are troubled by a negative body image that forces them to go on hunger strikes or eat obsessively. There is no sweet spot; it’s either one extreme or the other. 

So, let me share a secret. What if I told you that you can eat your favorite meals yet live a healthy life - both physically and mentally? 

If you want to overcome bulimia and stop criticizing yourself, follow these simple steps : 

#1 Stop binging: for starters, you need to enjoy the movie, watch the actor take down bad guys, and stop depriving yourself of food. A better way would be to stop binging by eating small mouthfuls at regular intervals to create the impression that you are well fed. 

#2 Start intuitive eating: I feel sorry for people who lose touch with food and ultimately their body due to bulimia. As a result, you may fail to recognize your body’s emergency signals. However, intuitive eating helps reconnect with your body so that you can trust yourself to eat again. I know it isn’t easy, but you will need those vitamins. 

#3 Look at your body differently: instead of standing in front of the mirror and criticizing your physique, why not say something positive? You will be amazed how much self-confidence you can develop just by listing down the positives. Also, there’s no need to measure your weight every day; you're worth much more than six-packs. 

#4 Manage anxiety: you need to distract yourself from anxiety; how about knitting, reading a book, or catching up with a friend? If needed, you can also seek professional help to control your thoughts because quite often, anxious behavior promotes bulimia. 

#5 Create a support system: it would be great to have a network of people around you who will support you no matter what. With the right support group, you will feel like a hero irrespective of your weight. 

Is bulimia a problem you have faced? What steps did you take to help yourself correct it? 

• Like 2

I had a friend growing up who started this because she felt it was the only way she'd lose weight. She ended up with a lot of health issues because of it. She did lose a lot of weight but ended up gaining it all back and then some when she stopped, only now she has health issues on top of it. I think she stopped when she got comfortable in a relationship because prior to that, she even tried getting me to do the same and I wasn't overweight at all! These are great tips though. 

• Like 1