Have you ever had to change to appease your partners?

Justin89

I don't have partners in my business, but I was curious to know about people here who do have partners in the business. Let's say you run a company and you have a few partners who have invested in your company. Have you ever had to change something about your business, the way you do business or something else with your company or even something about you? I have a feeling a lot of partners and investors require a lot of changes to be made before they even invest. Have you ever had to change to appease partners? 

• Like 1

Just like any relationship it is about open and honest communication and compromise. 

Investors or business partners everyone is after the same thing. We all want the project to produce profit. People will always having different ways of tackling the same problem. There will be debate and a bit of discomfort every now and then but as long as you are all aligned around the same goal and you are all working towards the same thing around a common interest it will all work out. 

Sometimes when you are the day to day manager of your business and you are having a meeting with partners or investors who are not it can get frustrating listening to what they have to say because they do not really know. Then again if you are communicating back to them about changes you are making then they would know. A lot of times the outside perspective is needed because you get to close to the problem which makes it harder to solve. 

It requires debate and open communication along with willingness to listen to others (sounds like something society really needs). 

When i look at partners, I consider them a part of the business. If they were hired to do a job, that's a different story, but most of the time, partners are there in the same spot you are. Sometimes they may be the CEO, COO, etc. Depends on what they are partnering for. 

Now with investors, they can sometimes require certain things. Like, they probably want profits to be met at all times, and they probably invest a lot, so they probably have some say in what happens with the business. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I never had a business partner to know. I am sure I would though. I mean if it means the business we share will be more successful, why would I not change if it helped out both of us? I am pretty strict with morals and things of that nature so I won't budge on those but the person I would go into business with would share my moral views on life so it would never be an issue anyways.

• Like 1