How To Overcome Dyslexia

TopicStarter

First of all, there is nothing to be ashamed of if you have dyslexia. A lot of people have it; in fact, some of the world's greatest minds have suffered from dyslexia once in their lifetimes, including Albert Einstein and Pablo Picasso.  

I believe that every person on this planet learns at their own pace. Furthermore, there is no off button to make this disorder go away, so I would say that it's better to make peace with it. 

You should always keep in mind that it is not a reflection of your intelligence. Having said that, if learning and reading become a daily struggle, then I think it is about time you took some steps.

However, the real problem is that people having dyslexia often fall behind in their lives. In fact, it creates a gap between a person's potential and achievements. That's why it is important to take action to overcome dyslexia. 

Here's my advice on how you can overcome dyslexia:

#1 Give yourself sufficient time: over the years, I have realized that people suffering from dyslexia don't like being rushed. And I bet it's the same with you. It’s important to have enough time to adjust to the situation without overburdening yourself. For instance, if you have a presentation next week, prepare for it a week earlier. 

#2 Be prepared for every situation: the harsh truth is that life doesn't work according to our whims and fancies. There will always be something new and challenging around the corner. So, you should be mentally prepared; try to keep your confidence up without worrying about making mistakes. 

#3 Make optimal use of technology: do your friends help you write emails? Sure, friends are there to help, but honestly, it's a time-consuming process. So, I would rather ask you to use your phone's voice assistant feature to get the job done. It will transform whatever you say into typed messages.  

#4 Rely on your family: whenever you are about to make an important call, have your spouse, parents, or siblings listen in to take notes. As a person dealing with dyslexia, you might find it difficult to make notes of everything you hear.

#5 Never forget to smile: smiling is a good way to make you feel confident and mask insecurities. Not to mention, it helps a lot in stressful situations and you may be surprised to see the numerous benefits of putting on a smile. 

Is dyslexia something you have had to overcome? What steps did you take to make it easier on yourself? 

• Like 1

I have very mild number dyslexia. I noticed it when I got my first job working behind a cash register. I would reverse numbers by mistake sometimes. I had a few customers do a double take because it was was off from what they actually spent LOL I noticed when I slow my mind down and I am not nervous, it isn't so bad. 

• Like 1

I wouldn't have thought to do any of this to help with dyslexia but I mentioned it to a friend and she said these things do make a difference. She has had issues with dyslexia since she was around the age of 10. Doctors have told her she just has a fast brain and her eyes have trouble keeping up. 

• Like 1