Alternative Investments?

Sophia

What are some things I can invest in that are outside of the "norm". Those being stocks, crypto, land/property, gold/silver, etc.?

I am trying to see what other options are out there. I know some people mention buying older alcohol and never opening it as a lot of it increases in value as it ages. 

• Like 2

Alternative investments. 

There are a lot of possibilities that you can get into. Some of these are not right for where the market is or something I myself would shy away from because I am not getting enough interest for the risk involved. 

-Short term inventory financing. Through various platforms you can buy into loans that help merchants buy inventory which is covering cash flow needs. This is a common problem in business. 

-Hard money real estate loans. Flippers need to get a house under contract and closed on fast. These were some of my favorite loans when I was able to get 12 - 15% on my cash. Not worth it now days in my opinion as asset values are sky high and I do not feel that even at a 80% LTV the loan would be very secure. 

-Personal loans. I used to use Prosper, LendingClub, Upstart as my platforms to lend people cash. I went on the high risk lower grade credit side of things and did not end up doing very well. Averaged about 4% a year. Way to many defaults. Interest rates have come down since I have done this and I can not see this being very profitable in the current interest rate environment. 

-Invest in local business. This is a bit harder to do as you need to know an owner of a business that is looking for cash to accomplish some plan. You can provide the solution with the money in exchange for equity in the business. 

A couple ideas. There are a lot of shady providers out there trying to offer all kinds of alternative investments. As always make sure to do your due diligence before investing any money into anything. 

• Like 2

Something I know a lot of people do is collect specific toys. It sounds silly but when you see what some things have sold for over the years, it might be worth it. Almost all Lego sets, just one example, increase in value in just 5 years because they only make the same set for so long before it is replaced by something else. 

• Like 1

Apparently video games would have been a good one. Did you guy see what that Super Mario Bros game sold for? INSANE!

I am not very good with investments. I don't know much about them so I would just go with what is safe (as in well practiced with success from a lot of people) if I ever did dabble more.

• Like 1