How To Overcome Fear Of Driving On Highway

TopicStarter

Are you prone to anxiety attacks when thinking of driving on the highway? Well, you are not alone as a large percentage of people who drive on highways face the same fear. So, now that you are here and reading this, I believe you want to make a change and take action. Let me break down the process of fighting it for you.

#1. Recognition and deep breathing: before moving ahead, you need to accept the kind of situation that you are in. While you might be ignoring this issue and avoiding highways, it is time to make a change. If you are feeling anxious, practice deep breathing for a while till your body relaxes. 

#2. Writing down your thoughts: write down your fears on a piece of paper. The moment you have them in front, think about each and see if you even believe in them. 

#3. Going over safety measures: if some of the fears stem from not having adequate safety measures, it is time to up your game. Add anything to the car that will make you feel safer while on the highway. Also, talk to yourself about not taking over other cars and maintaining a safe distance from other vehicles. 

Freeway streets are one way, and every car will be moving in a single direction. That makes it very safe, and there are less chances of accidents. Keep this in mind before starting off, and it can bring down some of your fears. 

#4. Noting exit routes: another significant point is to remember that you are in complete charge of the situation, and you can exit the highway whenever needed. This thought can keep you from feeling anxious, and you might be able to drive better. So, before heading on to a certain route, mark all the exit routes from the highway. 

This will help out a lot in case you have panic attacks on the road. Furthermore, keep reminding yourself that everything is alright and you have an exit route coming up soon. 

#5. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy: you might need professional help in the form of CBT, which will help in understanding phobias. Fear can easily stem from irrational thinking, and that could have bodily impacts. Hence, getting your thoughts under control will calm down the mind and body.

A counselor or a therapist can help in dealing with these, and you can heal better. So, do not be afraid of asking for help when needed, and you will be driving on the highway sooner than you know! 

Is this a fear that you have had? What steps did you take to overcome it?

I was scared often when it came to driving, especially on the highway. I always had anxiety about causing accidents or getting into them. But I just have to make sure I'm playing it safe when driving and I should be totally fine. 

These tips have helped me a lot though. Or tips close to these tips. I never thought of writing down my thoughts on the matter, but I suppose that can help. Breathing exercises does help a lot with the anxiety and stress involved. 

• Like 1

I never drove on the freeway. Not once. I am actually scared of it, even as a passenger. I think this is down to the speed and the accidents I often hear about but everyone I know says you are safer on the freeway. I just don't feel like I am! I never had the need to use them which is good so I never pushed myself to get over the fear but I probably should. 

• Like 1

I think this is a very common fear for a lot of people, even those who drive. I know at least two people who don't drive on the highways. I have done it a few times and the reason I don't like it is because I get nervous when I need to find the exit. The last time I was on the highway was a few years ago and I missed my exit and got lost. I ended up driving another 25 minutes on the freeway before figuring out where to get off and had to get back on again. I was covered in sweat and crying. It was horrible because I was by myself too. 

• Like 1