Is it considered a crutch to rely on God?

Stacey

I have been told this before and I never knew how to took it. Like for me, anytime I am really in a state of fear, I like to actually listen to scripture. I am not an overly religious person but I find comfort in God's promises and for me, it helps. To me, this is a better approach than to say starting up a habit like drinking or something. Thoughts? 

• Like 1

Everyone has to believe in something in order to properly function. I say believe in whatever you have to so you can have the strength and courage to do the things you want to do. If people also want to believe that the strength and courage to do said things came from God then so be it. People should let other people believe what they want to believe. I would say the strength and courage came from within myself. It really does not matter why though because it is now done. 

So no I do not think it is considered a crutch to rely on God. 

Now if you are just sitting around waiting for God to do something of course that is not going to work. You only get to take out what you put in and that is a concept lost on some. 

• Like 1

I only consider this to be a crutch when people use God as an excuse for bad behavior. You see this a lot in the south in the US. People like to just say things like "God has his mysterious ways" when they mess up something for other people. 

• Like 1

On 8/10/2021 at 1:48 AM, Stacey said:

I have been told this before and I never knew how to took it. Like for me, anytime I am really in a state of fear, I like to actually listen to scripture. I am not an overly religious person but I find comfort in God's promises and for me, it helps. To me, this is a better approach than to say starting up a habit like drinking or something. Thoughts? 

Well, i wouldn't consider it being a crutch when you believe in a supreme being. It is usually important to have something that you hold dear and something that you can believe in when things get tough. 

• Like 2

I agree with everyone else. Believing is one thing. In order for God to be a crutch, you would have to be using him as an excuse. Relying on him is a healthy way to deal with stress and emotional issues. I see nothing wrong with this. Both religious and non-religious people vent to God and turn to him when they need help. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/12/2021 at 2:58 PM, bomb said:

Well, i wouldn't consider it being a crutch when you believe in a supreme being. It is usually important to have something that you hold dear and something that you can believe in when things get tough. 

Yeah that is how I feel. Like how can something that helps you and doesn't hurt anyone (including yourself) be a crutch of any kind?

I agree with the others that mentioned it being used and excuse. I know people do that but not everyone does. 

• Like 1