I hate social media (not social networks like this one)

Sophia

I have always said that forums and places like Reddit are social networks because the main focus is something outside of one's self. With social media, the main focus is YOU and how YOU feel, or what YOU like, or who likes YOU. It has created a breeding ground for narcissism and self-centeredness like you could not believe! I notice this so much in teens and young 20 somethings. I am in my 30's and I feel like I am in my 50's when I look at how others act and treat each other just a few years younger than myself. 

I honestly hate social media and what it has done to people. It is ruining relationships and connections... It is taking every human flaw and making it fashionable. 

• Like 1

I agree with you. 

The only thing I use social media for is marketing my projects to other people and some Facebook groups that have lots of valuable content but I wish they would move to a forum more like this one as the information is easier to find. 

For personal stuff if friends or family want to get in touch with me they have my phone number, email address, and know where I live. 

Sometimes when I get bored I will read the replies people post to others on Twitter and the full thing is just toxic. 

I was talking about a similar topic with my wife the other night. 

How the kids do not really go over to friends houses or hang out with friends in person as much as we did when we were there age. Now our kids consider hanging out as playing the same game together over the internet. 

Yes I would get together with my friends and play video games together in person but couch co-op seems to be a dying breed. 

It almost seems people are different people when they are on these sites and do and say things they would never do in real life. 

• Like 1

The thing with social media, is that it gives everyone a voice, even the hateful, harmful people. And often they get away with their hate. They can post in comment sections and throw hate around all day. They'll get banned and then sign up again, rinse and repeat. Trolls and bullies don't care, they will continue to abuse social media, until it pushes everyone away or until comments are more regulated, which lets be honest here, will never happen. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Lana said:

The thing with social media, is that it gives everyone a voice, even the hateful, harmful people. And often they get away with their hate. They can post in comment sections and throw hate around all day. They'll get banned and then sign up again, rinse and repeat. Trolls and bullies don't care, they will continue to abuse social media, until it pushes everyone away or until comments are more regulated, which lets be honest here, will never happen. 

Its hard to regulate comments since the free flow of ideas is crucial for society. I am always willing to debate with the other side but they never seem to be up for a factual based debate. 

• Like 1

Most people just shouldn't be on these platforms. Not because they are bad people but because they have bad ideas, wrong ideas, and are easily mislead by groups. It just sets them up for gas lighting and manipulation. It is not easy to see this online, way easier to be aware of it in person. 

• Like 1

Sure, you are right. Unfortunately, social media is a double edged sword! It cuts from both side. If used properly, it can add value to your life, but if used for self validation, it can cause more harm to your life. So as much as we would love to avoid it, i would say it is also good to embrace it's positive aspects. There is some good that can still come out of it.

• Like 1