Bullies and why they bully people

Brenden

I know bullies are a pain to deal with. I've been there, high school and middle school were quite tough for me. But I got through it all. When it comes to bullies, how did you deal with them? I wouldn't say I have a bully these days, but commenting on anything these days, can draw trolls in on you like that. 

Why is it that people bully so much? I know the main reason is that something is wrong in their life, but what if there is nothing wrong and they still bully people and or troll people. Why is it that some people continue to act like a bully when called out on it? 

• Like 1

There were a couple bullies I knew through middle school and the early years of high school. My method of dealing with them was not letting them get under my skin. As I tell my kids it takes two to tango so I always felt if I could remove the satisfaction they would eventually leave me alone which they did. I was able to bore the bullies. 

Why do bullies behave the way they do? Well I think they are typically insecure about something in their own lives. Or they have been bullied themselves and that is just how they know how to behave. It is sad but its typically a circle of behavior :(. 

In my experience, bullies tend to either be unhappy or have an unwell home life so they take it out on other people. I have seen grown adults do this as well. It doesn't end when school does! I knew someone from a place I used to work for that would bully and push around anyone who would let her. I just ignored her when she acted this way and we ended up becoming good friends because I didn't let her knock me around. Funny that!

• Like 1

I never understood bullies. I was bullied when I was in school just for being quiet and keeping to myself. I guess I was viewed as "weird". I had people throw food at me when I wouldn't eat during lunch, I have had people spread rumors of me being violent or "most likely to bring a gun to school". Kids are nasty but those kids who are the most nasty tend to be the most unhappy. 

• Like 1

I've dealt with my share of bullies in the past. They can be quite annoying to deal with, that's for sure. I tried not to put up with them. When they came to me, I'd fight back as best I could. It didn't always work, but I slowly built a reputation that I defended myself and eventually, the bullies found others to mess with. I can't stand people who bully, but I think they do it to make themselves feel better. 

I think most of the time they do it, they are having issues at home, or with another bully of their own. Or they're dealing with other issues, like bad grades, depression, anxiety, etc. Others may do it because they're just awful people, but we don't fully know why they do it. 

• Like 1