My husband wants to start a small farm...

Ella

I am at a loss on what to think about this! We have the yard space for it but his planning is that he can raise chickens and sell the eggs locally as well as have a small garden to do local sales from a stand. There are others in our area who do this and he has been wanting to start a new hobby. In his mind, he things this is a good way to keep busy and earn extra income. I am just not sold on the idea. How much can this actually earn? I mean you have to spend money on feed for the chickens and supplies for the garden. I feel like it will only break even. 

• Like 1

I know some people that do this and you are right it does not seem like there is much profit involved. They love what they are doing though so I guess as long as it's not a burden on anyone then it does not really matter. 

There must be a way to do it profitably though since there is a market for organic free range chicken eggs. I do not know what kind of scale needs to be achieved to meet this goal though. 

I have someone on my street who has a very small scale farm. He calls it his "micro-farm". He sells berries, certain vegetables, eggs, and milk on occasion. He only has two cows so he sells what he and his family do not need. I remember awhile back asking him what he made and he said on a good month, over $1,000 but most months he made around $400. He said half of that went back into animal care and farming so he only ends up profiting a few hundred a month from it. 

• Like 1

Yeah, I can't imagine the costs to be worth it. But, if he is enjoying it, it could be a good hobby for him. And if so, he can maybe make a little extra cash on the side. I wouldn't quit my job to do it though. I don't see it being something that can sustain more lives. Unless you have an actual far with all kinds of animals/food. 

• Like 1

I think this can be a hobby that pays for itself which is good. It will keep him active and even though you won't earn much if anything, you should be able to afford costs without pulling it from your own pockets once things are established! 

• Like 1