How do you tell you boss someone is slacking?

Mila

A friend of mine works with a team and she mentioned that one of the guys slacks all the time and if they fall behind and get talked down to by the boss, it is almost always his fault. She wants to say something to the boss but she is worried that he either won't believe her, he will take his side, or she will be pegged as some kind of nark at her workplace. 

• Like 1

I read that title all wrong! LOL I see you just missed the "r" on the second "you". 

Anyways, I think this depends. I mean this could very well end up biting her in the butt. I mean is the boss close to this guy? Is he a family member to him or a family friend? I get being frustrated when someone slacks on your team. A place I worked for in my late teens was like this. We have TWO of these people. They did nothing and always demanded to be paid more. It got to a point where everyone just started ignoring them.

• Like 1

This can be tricky because typically minding your own business is the best course of action in the workplace. You are there to get your job done and that is it. Now as someone that has managed large teams I appreciate any insight on a team to keep my eye on what is going on. Then again when people used to come to me with problems about other people I always suspected they were shifting my attention somewhere else to not focus on them. So there may be a little side effect. 

If you are working on a floor and you have a floor supervisor there would be ways to call out your team member without calling them out but showing that they are lacking at part of the process that is slowing down the entire thing. 

I don't know I think its a supervisors job to make sure that their team is preforming and if a member of that team is not preforming that is the supervisors problem. 

I think my only advise here would be to stay in your lane and eventually poor performance from a team member will sort itself out if its a well run company. 

These things have a way of working themselves out. Trust me! She is very likely not the only one who is feeling this way.

What she can do is pitch the idea of having workers morale meetings to her boss. This is where he will sit down with everyone in private and talk about things. They will usually ask people if there is anyone they have an issue with on the team, it won't leave the office what they say. This is a good way of allowing her boss to see a lot of people have issue with him.

• Like 1