How do you force yourself to stick with the workout?

Damon

I am someone who often gives up early when it comes to working out. I'll feel a pain in my leg, foot or something that will keep me going. I need to learn how to push through the pain. Do you guys have any tips on how to move past the pain and keep the workout going?

• Like 1

Yeah so every now and then when I am out there running I will cramp up. Especially if I leave a bit later in the morning then normal and it is a little warmer then what I am used to. You feel the cramp come on and your first reaction is to stop or just bend over in pain. That is the moment when you need to judge how bad the problem really is and if it feels like something you can get through it is time to put that mental toughness to the test. 

When the pain comes on it is all about reverting back to the basics. Just keep running, cycling, whatever the activity is you just keep going. You may not be moving as fast but you are not going to stop because you planned to do that work out and you are going to execute on it. Try your hardest to focus on anything but the pain. Focus on one foot in front of another. Just keep moving. I have found the pain will subside in 5-10 minutes of working through it. 

So I guess my tip is to think about something different. Bring out the affirmations. I am, I can, I will, I do. Then get done what you planned to do. 

Anytime I feel any kind of pain, I just stop. This is likely why I have never stuck to something long-term. I think you should stop for injuries but push past it for general muscle pain. Some people don't know the difference though. 

• Like 1

It is hard to work through pain but understanding your body and you limits helps to not overdo things. 

I think it is important for anyone new to exercising to start easy and slow. Don't aim to lose weight or build muscle but aim to improve your fitness level first. Things get easier as your body adjusts. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/18/2021 at 8:22 PM, Damon said:

I am someone who often gives up early when it comes to working out. I'll feel a pain in my leg, foot or something that will keep me going. I need to learn how to push through the pain. Do you guys have any tips on how to move past the pain and keep the workout going?

When you feel the pain, it means it is now working. Your muscles are slowly getting used to the workout regime. You are not supposed to give up at this point. Find a way for gratifying yourself when you actually do it. Then find a workout partner who you will be accountable to. And sometimes i usually prefer putting money on it. Fore example, i give the gym attendant money that i cannot afford to loose. Then if i fail to come to the gym he can deduct x amount from the cash. That makes me force myself to do go for workouts whether i like it or not! 

• Like 1

Try doing workouts in small incremental chunks. For example, if you do two sit-ups today, tomorrow try to add one, then the following day do one more than the previous day. That way, you will always be motivated to beat your previous day record. Also, if you are finding yourself avoiding to go to the gym, try choosing a gym that is on your way to work or put your work out area next to your reading space. So that you will work out before you start reading!

• Like 1