Would you date someone who committed crimes?

Rachel

Let's say the crimes are not superbad. Nothing like murder or anything heinous, but more so with stealing, and other petty things. Let's say you met someone, and they have a rocky history with the law. Maybe they were arrested multiple times or something. Would you ever date a person who has committed crimes in their life? 

• Like 2

Really depends on the petty crimes. Then again if they are getting caught they really suck at committing petty crime which may be a sign of poor planning. 

It would really depend on the amount of drama that brought with it. I was lucky and the girl I met 21 years ago when I was 16 is my wife today and out of the two of us I was the one that misbehaved. So I guess she even married someone that used to commit petty crime. 

As an employer we typically give second chances to people that have been released from jail depending on the crimes. If stealing is in there we wouldn't give them another shake since we need to be able to trust you are not going to rob our store. 

It would depend on the person and their personality. I am sure that lifestyle may appeal to some people that have lived relatively boring lives. 

I think this depends on the crimes like James mentioned. I believe some people who have criminal records did make one mistake and moved on from it while others are always in and out of the system. I know someone who is married to a man who was in prison for 8 years. Given his past, I wouldn't be able to date him much less marry him but friend of mine is engaged to someone who dabbled in hacking when he was younger. Never nothing major and never directed at individuals. I don't see an issue with something like this. 

• Like 1

I wouldn't date anyone who served more than 3 months of prison time. That is my line. I don't want to be with a felon or have to deal with the stress from my family disapproving of it. I think most crimes that require more than 3 months are ones I wouldn't be able to accept anyways, even if the guy changed his ways. 

• Like 1

If it was a bad crime, no. I have to be able to trust the person I am with and having a sketchy past will hurt my trust with them, even if they are okay in the present time. This is the same for someone who cheated. If I know someone cheated a lot on their past relationships, I wouldn't date them either.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/16/2021 at 11:06 AM, Rachel said:

Let's say the crimes are not superbad. Nothing like murder or anything heinous, but more so with stealing, and other petty things. Let's say you met someone, and they have a rocky history with the law. Maybe they were arrested multiple times or something. Would you ever date a person who has committed crimes in their life? 

This will totally depend on how good i know them and whether i can trust them or not. Some people will do commit crime and genuinely regret doing it. When someone is remorseful of the crime, it means s/he may not commit the same again, thus you can go ahead and date them. But this should be based on trust and your close friendship. They should be willing and able to open up to you. Otherwise it can go either way! 

• Like 1