Handling relationships with a narcissist?

Emma

Be it a friend, family member, or partner - How do you handle a relationship with a narcissistic person? 

I am curious to see what others have to say about this. I have been around them my whole life and it can be draining at times but I have learned to adapt and not care so much when they do their "normal" digs, one-ups, and "me, me, me!" one person act. 

• Like 1

This is a challenge. You have to set clear boundaries with the narcissist. The narcissist is going to want to shape the environment around them to fit their desires so the other partner in the party must draw those lines in the sand. When those lines are crossed it is really difficult to go back and it may be time to move on. 

• Like 1

There is no "dealing" with a person like this. I hate to say it but they are not going to change and you are always going to be some level of a doormat to them. If you are strong enough to cope and handle that, then you can carry on with these relationships but most people can't. Setting bounders and taking breaks is essentially because of it. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

My approach to narcists is usually to keep off and avoid them completely. There negative energies are usually contagious. So the more you keep off them the better. But if you must stay with them, especially for the case of family members, you have to state your boundaries. And let them know when they overstep. 

• Like 2

As mentioned, boundaries make a HUGE difference. If they can't respect those, then you punish them by staying away and keeping talk very short with them. They will sweeten up again real fast. I have someone in my life like this and it works.

• Like 1