Would you go into business with your partner (boyfriend/girlfriend - husband/wife)?

Scarlett

If we knew it could be successful I think we'd give it a try. If you're starting a business, starting it with a spouse would be the first step. Because let's face it, no one should be starting a business without consulting their spouse or partner. RIght? 

But, it's not like you have to go into business with someone you're dating or married to. You could do it all yourself, and hire others.

I think it comes down to this, it's up to the people involved. If you feel your relationship can withstand running a business, then more power to you. But bear in mind, that sometimes things can go south and your marriage or relationship could end as a result. 

• Like 2

Well if you live in a community property state you are likely already in business with your husband/wife and do not even know it. 

Thinking about starting a journey with your significant other should work out well as long as you are both on the same page and you are aligned in your goals. Just like any partnership there has to be some kind of alignment and separation of responsibilities. 

Most of the time when a business gets going eventually you have buy sell agreements and things in place incase of divorce. 

Now with all that being said my wife acts as support and my cheerleader in whatever I choose to do. I typically do not talk to her much about business. I do consult her on more macro topics or anytime there is going to be huge capital expenditure. I have been trying to involve her more and more as I have turned to investing more then running day to day enterprise for my work. 

There are stories of plenty of boyfriends and girlfriends that started enterprise together and broke up and still run the enterprise together. So it can work. It is just going to depend on the priorities of the person and how aligned all the parties are. 

• Like 1

If you are both mature and good with communication, even if you split up things can still work out but I think this heavily depends on the relationship. As of right now, I would say no. My boyfriend is not good with managing money and that is a big reason why. Maybe if we last and he gets better at it, my mind will change in a few years. 

• Like 1

Hmm... I don't think I would. This is not to say I wouldn't enjoy it but my husband can be very kind but competitive and I feel like if I made a mistake, I would beat myself up for it a lot because I would feel as if I let him down. 

• Like 1