How do I train myself to stick to a steady schedule?

Scarlett

I am trying to make an easy but firm schedule for myself to help with sleep as well as getting things done earlier in the day. I am having trouble figuring out something that works because I work from home as well as work part time out of the house and those hours and days are always being shifted around. How can I train myself to stick to a more steady schedule and have it work for me? 

• Like 1

Schedule everything you do in a given day. Tack that schedule up on your wall, make a schedule on your phone/pc, etc. Hell, I'd say make a wallpaper with your daily schedule, just to get it ingrained into your head. 

I schedule most of my work in the early hours, because I like to have the rest of my day open for other work and to relax and do what I want. 

It really comes down to pushing yourself to match the schedule. Try keeping the pace daily. Go to bed earlier, find a rhythm basically. 

• Like 2

Building routines can be tricky when you are not currently in a routine. 

I have found that it is best to start consistently doing a couple routine things and then slowly adding on to that over time. As some routine things become easier just due to repetition you start to find more bandwidth and can continue to add things on. 

A also know that if I am going to get things done those things have to be on a list somewhere. So I have all my tasks on a list. A lot of tasks a recurring so every day when I wake up I already have my plan built and all I have to do execute. 

It takes discipline. Once you stop dreading getting the list done and just do it you start to realize you have more time. If I do not have a list of tasks that needs to be done I will just aimlessly navigate the internet and waste time. 

So for me it boils down to planning and execution. I already know every work out I am going to do now until the end of the year. I know what tasks I am going to do every day to help me accomplish my goals. Do what is a hard first and then get into the easier fun stuff. For work that does not require to much bandwidth I turn on my auto likes playlist and just grind it out. 

• Like 2

I had a problem with procrastination in the past. It can really slow you down a ton. I found the big thing that helped me change things, was by changing my sleep patterns around. Instead, I started to go to bed at a certain point, like clockwork. I feel this is the first step all should do. Make sure you sleep enough, and go to bed at a reasonable time as well. 

9 minutes ago, James said:

Building routines can be tricky when you are not currently in a routine. 

I have found that it is best to start consistently doing a couple routine things and then slowly adding on to that over time. As some routine things become easier just due to repetition you start to find more bandwidth and can continue to add things on. 

A also know that if I am going to get things done those things have to be on a list somewhere. So I have all my tasks on a list. A lot of tasks a recurring so every day when I wake up I already have my plan built and all I have to do execute. 

It takes discipline. Once you stop dreading getting the list done and just do it you start to realize you have more time. If I do not have a list of tasks that needs to be done I will just aimlessly navigate the internet and waste time. 

So for me it boils down to planning and execution. I already know every work out I am going to do now until the end of the year. I know what tasks I am going to do every day to help me accomplish my goals. Do what is a hard first and then get into the easier fun stuff. For work that does not require to much bandwidth I turn on my auto likes playlist and just grind it out. 

Yeah this right here. I think starting slow, and making small changes helps a lot. I find that doing one thing at a time is the ideal way to go, and then eventually you start to get in a groove of doing it on a schedule. 

• Like 2

You want to form habits that are healthy and not get bored with them. I know it sounds easy but it takes some effort to form healthy habits, especially when you are used to doing stuff a certain way. We are creature of habit and in order to break a bad habit, you need to replace it with a good one. Start by sticking to a small routine each day. Like maybe start by making yourself breakfast every morning. Branch out from there. Once you have mapped out a habit and feel you are doing good with it, add something else to your daily routine. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

That calls for higher level of self-discipline. This can only be achieved by committing yourself to practicing habits that promote good self-discipline. The first thing you should do is to set realistic goals/ objectives to be attained on your schedule. People get demotivated when they set extraordinary goals on their daily planners. This will often lead them to being discouraged and resolve to take the path of least resistance (not doing the task). 

• Like 1