How can I train myself to complete things?

Emma

I have a habit of starting something new be it a hobby or something as simple as a drawing and I get discouraged or disappointed and then end up walking away from it. I have picked up and put down so many hobbies since COVID 2020, it is ridiculous! While I was still in university, I didn't have an issue completing things but now I do. I don't know why. How can I train myself or fix my thinking to actually stick things through? 

In order for me to get things done I need a strong understanding of why I am doing them. If we do not understand why we are doing something that question will always come up eventually and it is that moment that we typically quit. For me a strong sense of why is important. If we don't want it bad enough it is a huge battle with ourselves to change. 

• Like 1

I struggled with this after school because I was no longer tied down to a system. I think it happens to a lot of people, especially for those who never worked and went right from High School to College. I found it beneficial when trying anything new to first focus on making something for me. Like if I am going to draw or write, I will focus on my needs, feelings, desires, and what I am currently invested in. 

• Like 2

I have this happen now and then and I usual just let things go which I think is a bad thing. I am not sure how to fix something like this but I think you need to boost your self-esteem and not expect to be good at something you have never done before. Most people suck when they are trying something new! Just enjoy the process and the moment. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2021 at 10:21 AM, James said:

In order for me to get things done I need a strong understanding of why I am doing them. If we do not understand why we are doing something that question will always come up eventually and it is that moment that we typically quit. For me a strong sense of why is important. If we don't want it bad enough it is a huge battle with ourselves to change. 

That makes sense. I mean if you don't have a reason behind doing something, the desire to stick to it and the motivation to keep going will be lost in the wind.

On 5/24/2021 at 3:15 PM, Sophia said:

I struggled with this after school because I was no longer tied down to a system. I think it happens to a lot of people, especially for those who never worked and went right from High School to College. I found it beneficial when trying anything new to first focus on making something for me. Like if I am going to draw or write, I will focus on my needs, feelings, desires, and what I am currently invested in. 

So you use your thinking and emotional investments to guide your through a process? I don't think I have ever tried that.

On 5/27/2021 at 5:44 PM, Scarlett said:

I have this happen now and then and I usual just let things go which I think is a bad thing. I am not sure how to fix something like this but I think you need to boost your self-esteem and not expect to be good at something you have never done before. Most people suck when they are trying something new! Just enjoy the process and the moment. 

That is the thing, I struggle to just be in the moment. I know it is silly coming from a grown woman but I have an issue with sitting still much less sticking to one thing!

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Emma said:

So you use your thinking and emotional investments to guide your through a process? I don't think I have ever tried that.

Pretty much, yes! I like to think of the whole picture in everything I do. I like to think how what I am doing in the present moment will benefit my future self and it really helps to keep track and stick to things I am doing. 

• Like 2

On 6/6/2021 at 4:14 PM, Sophia said:

Pretty much, yes! I like to think of the whole picture in everything I do. I like to think how what I am doing in the present moment will benefit my future self and it really helps to keep track and stick to things I am doing. 

Hmm, kind of like one of those "prosperity boards" but in thought and action. If you never heard of that, it comes from the concept of the laws of attraction in that you attract what you have in your life through thought and process. 

• Like 2