Try not to worry what others may think of you

Quinten

One thing I try often, is to not worry about what others may think of me. I used to worry a lot about how people would see me. And that paranoia hurt me a lot growing up. I've come to find, that fear and paranoia can be controlled and I am now a lot more comfortable. I don't let the worry take me over, and I certainly don't care anymore what people think of me. But it's not easy to get to this stage. It requires you to challenge yourself, get out of your comfort zone. 

My anxiety was my burden, but now I don't let it control me anymore. 

• Like 3

That is a great way to think. We can not control how other people think or what their opinions are so why worry about it? Just focus on being your best self and being yourself and life will be fine. 

I hear it from my wife and kids all the time talking about what other people think about them. I always try to suggest that instead of wasting bandwidth thinking about what other people are thinking maybe use that bandwidth to better yourself in some way. 

It is great you were able to unload that burden from your shoulders :). 

I did this as well. I think most people go through this and many grow out of it. I used to care a lot more when I was younger to the point of turning down plans to go somewhere because "I felt fat" or I was having a bad hair day. These days, I seldom let it get to me and I am happier because of it.

• Like 1

Yeah most people struggle with their worth and self-image. Usually this is most felt when you are a teen but for many, it carries into your 20s. I found that once you feel confident and comfortable with yourself, things get easier. For a lot of people this comes after marriage and starting a family, understandable so. You aren't dating anymore! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I used to struggle with this. I still do at times! With the way the world is these days, it is hard not to feel worried about your looks, your ideas, how you dress, what you buy... I mean it is basically forced on us that we need to be a certain way around certain people just to fit in! It can be tiresome but I think it gets easier with age. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/12/2021 at 2:12 AM, Quinten said:

One thing I try often, is to not worry about what others may think of me. I used to worry a lot about how people would see me. And that paranoia hurt me a lot growing up. I've come to find, that fear and paranoia can be controlled and I am now a lot more comfortable. I don't let the worry take me over, and I certainly don't care anymore what people think of me. But it's not easy to get to this stage. It requires you to challenge yourself, get out of your comfort zone. 

I love your new look to life. You are right, we should not let other's opinion of us worry us at all. This is because we are not in control of how they think. This is a main principle on which stoicism is  based on. You should never strive to control what you can't, rather you should always strive to work on yourself. Be a better version of yourself and the rest will fall in place. 

• Like 1

On 7/12/2021 at 2:12 AM, Quinten said:

Then you have a very strong will. This is usually hard to get over with. I am still struggling to get my mind away form thinking "What will they say?". This has always been my downfall. And it ends up wasting my time and money. Because i would spend a lot on people just to make them thinking highly of me. And they usually dont! 

• Like 1