Why are people having less kids?

Scarlett

I heard that our population is in decline in the US with people having fewer and fewer children. I have 3 friends myself that said they don't know if they want kids. One of my friends does have a child and she loves being a mother though. It seems like most millennials are being put off by having kids for one reason or another, what do you think is going on? 

They are expensive! Everything else is getting more expensive! A lot of millennials I talk to have an extreme negative outlook on life. 

Now I can also be considered a millennial. I have 4 kids. I wanted zero :P. My wife was the one that wanted the huge family. You know it has turned out great to have all these children to share with. Little blessing that really help keep me pushing to be the best I can be. I want to show them they can do anything they set their mind to and I have to lead by example so that what we do. 

I think the shift really started as people started to focus less on family and more on material things. That may be my coastal upbringing speaking but it seemed growing up in California the priorities were around accumulating the most stuff and making the most money. 

Now when I travel to the center of the USA the focus is back on the family unit being the most important thing with career coming secondary. 

So I guess with that it has just been a changing of priorities. To many people trying to keep up with the Jones'. 

• Like 1

I think both responses are right. People are more focused on themselves, their careers, their dreams... So by the time women are wanting kids and wanting to settle down, finding a mate is harder. I read something somewhere that the average successful 35 year old man is going for women under 25. So for a woman to find a partner who is successful after the age of 30 is slim pickings. Women are on a time clock when it comes to having babies and lose value as they age in the dating world whereas men gain value with age. The average 21 year old female who is fit is of more value than a 32 year old business woman. Data shows this. It is a sad reality. Women need to focus on marriage and kids first if it is something they want, they can't wait until they are in their mid to late 30s. Have kids first and start a career when they are in their teens. I know plenty of women who did it this way and are very happy!

• Like 1

I think it's also because some people just don't want kids. I have friends who have sworn off the idea of having kids. Not because they can't, just that they don't feel the need to have kids. 

And with how marriage is changing these days, men and women are getting married a lot less than ever, which probably means less children as well. 

• Like 1

Based on my own circle, the main reason is money. I think this happens though the more developed a nation becomes. People become less inclined to start families. Some people opt to take care of animals instead or focus on a career. Nothing wrong with that but I worry that for a lot of these people, they will regret it when they get older. Having family when you are aging into your final years helps big time. I have seen what it was like for older people to not have anyone, it is not pretty!

• Like 1