Fixing Sleep

Emma

What are some ways to improve your sleep?

I know sleep is a huge factor in health and mental well-being. Lately, I have been waking up several times throughout the night. I can fall back asleep but I wake up feeling so tired that I have gotten used to using coffee to perk me up again which I don't like. I want to get back to where I can sleep through the night and not wake up more than once if I do wake up. 

• Like 1

I think one of the difficult parts of fixing your sleep pattern is that you have to suffer a little.

Talking through experience with my SO, who wasn't able to sleep early. She just had to force herself to go to bed at around 11, and even though she was up all night maybe till 2 to 3 am just toiling in bed, she made it a point to stick to it and keep doing it till it became normal.

• Like 1

I have worked all kinds of shifts and different hours of the day and have maintained a few different sleeping schedules over the course of my life. 

It is all about routine and making sure to follow it the same way every time. 

Just recently around the dinner table I was having this conversation with my oldest daughter who says she has a hard time falling asleep. 

Looking at it from the outside it is really easy for me to see why and I told her the routine she had was no good. She did not attempt to go to bed at the same time and does not wake up 6 - 8 hours after going to sleep. 

Waking up and your activity during the day may also dictate how easy it is to go to sleep later. 

I did notice my sleep scores started to increase as I became more active. 

So activity helped me sleep better. 

I am a very routine focused individual so my bed time routine is typically winding down with some national news then off to bed. I am in bed every night around midnight and out of bed every morning between 7 - 8 am. 

You just have to repeat the same pattern over and over again. If you are having trouble falling asleep when you want to go to bed just wake up early and suffer for a few days until you can finally go to sleep at your target time. Spend more energy during the day to help drain some of that energy your body has stored up. 

Looking forward to reading other ways others improve their sleep. 

Establish an ideal schedule and stay within 2 hours of it. So if you get up during the week at 8AM, don't sleep in past 10AM on the weekends. 

A lot of people believe sunlight helps so be sure to expose yourself to sunlight every day for at least 10 minutes outdoors.

Magnesium is said to be a key factor in regulating sleep. Get those levels checked!

• Like 1