Is TV and movies becoming a bit too... "woke"?

Scarlett

I am not one to complain about using art forms to get messages across. I think addressing issues with gender, race, and so on are important and TV and movies are both good ways to get people talking about these issues... But it seems like things are getting a bit much. It seems like a lot of what is coming out is very much against "white people" or "men" and very much in favor of black folks and women. I don't like being able to be aware of stuff like this because not too long ago, I thought nothing of skin color or gender, I just treated everyone with the same kindness and human decency. I feel like things are getting a bit too carried away though and it is going to just cause more problems for a lot of people! 

Yes! Yes things are becoming way to "woke". 

I don't care what color you are, or what you identify as, or your sexual orientation. All that matters to me is you are a contributing member of society. I have hired and fired plenty of people over the years and never once did a pro noun or a color drive a decision. I was raised to never judge a book by its cover and will always live that way. 

We are all people. We are all equal. Nothing makes anyone better then anyone else. 

Todays media seems to flaunt things at us that they want us to be desensitized to and I don't know sometimes I think it has gone to far. I am grateful to live in a state like AZ where a lot of this crazy stuff that is being heard about today is not happening around me or my children. I keep a strong pulse on what is being taught in school. I make sure to go to back to school night and ask about the curriculum. 

As a white small business owner sometimes I feel like I am getting the shaft even in google places because we are not minority owner, veteran owned (thank you for your service), or female owned. I can not control those things about myself and its strange that people are making decisions around these things instead of just supporting the companies that provide the best service. 

We are all equal and the same opportunities are supposed to be available to everyone. The same laws are supposed to apply to everyone. That is the only way to make a multicultural democracy work. The things that are happening today. The places the leadership are focusing. It just seems so backwards. 

If we ever have a politician read this forum it would be great if you could govern by asking if whatever you are doing benefits a majority of your constituents and if it does not it should not be a focus. As a owners of companies I do what is best for our company I would think the elected leaders of people should think the same way. Driven by a mission and solid values. 

It is insane what is going on out there and hopefully we start getting better leaders elected into office and hopefully the public is starting to wake to the fact these people are not working for them which they are supposed to be. 

• Like 1

I think it's a bit weird how PC everything has gotten. If you said a bad thing in the past, it could come back to "Cancel" you these days. As well, I haven't seen a comedy movie that is raunchy and or offensive, because I think people are scared to make them. 

As well, it does seem like a lot of hate gets tossed at white people and men these days. It's like it's cool to hate on white people and men because of all the bad they did. But I still qualify a lot of that as racism and hate. So really, you're just doing the thing you have been fighting against. That's how I see it when I see people saying "kill white people" or "F Men" or something like that. Because you're broadly painting white people and men as something bad. 

I just think it makes your cause look bad, when you say "White people this, white people that", because you're not making it about the cause to better yourself or your community, you're just throwing out blame. I think that's lazy. 

• Like 2

I think people are just too darn sensitive today and the heavy focus on skin color and sex/gender has to do with the massive transfer of wealth we are seeing. Maybe that is just me being paranoid but I feel like this all started after Occupy Wall Street took place and has gotten progressively worse each year. No one in their right mind can think judging someone based on the color of their skin is "anti-racism" or putting biological males in female sports is feminist empowerment. Just no. I don't care what color you are or what you have going on in your pants, just be a decent human begin and most of the world will treat you with kindness. 

• Like 1

I honestly don't watch much to notice how bad it has gotten. I am very selective about what I watch and it needs to have good ratings so I typically watch older shows and movies or ones that are more current with higher ratings. I guess the higher rated ones aren't all wokey dokey lol

• Haha 1