How to rewire your negative thoughts?

Stacey

We all have thoughts about ourselves that are rather negative. For many people, this is a now and then type of thing but for others, like me, it is an almost daily occurrence. I struggle with the whole "am I good enough?" or "I will never get any better at this!" kind of thinking. This is especially true when trying new things or dealing with relationships. How can someone rewire their thinking to shut these thoughts down from the start?

Do daily positive affirmations with yourself. This helped a friend of mine get over an eating disorder. 

The best way to do it is to pick a time each day you can stick with and sit in front of a mirror and speak positive words into yourself.  A lot of people like to do this first thing in the morning, others like to do it before bed. You can do it both times even if you'd like. It does help!

Emma suggestion is great. Positive affirmations work wonders in helping you think a little differently. Always search for the positive spin when you have negative thoughts. 

The accountability mirror has helped my wife a great deal. She has post it notes all around her side of the mirror in the bathroom with positive affirmations, goals, and things not to do. 

Meditation helps to ground and center yourself. 

Today when I was out running I had that horrible question go through my head as to why I was out running especially with it being 100+ degrees outside. I answered my own question with the reasons I was able to think of in that moment (helps me focus, healthier, keeps me grounded). It made me smile I just kept going. It sounds crazy but when I felt my lips curve into a smile the run felt a little bit easier. 

Hopefully that can help a bit.

How do others get negative thoughts out of their heads?

I would suggest looking around you. Who do you spend a lot of time around and how do they talk to you and treat you? This kind of thinking is learned behavior and there is a good chance a family member or longtime friend has trained you this. It is a habit and just like any other habit, you need to either kick it or replace it with something healthier. 

• Like 1