Consistency leads you to reward

James

Well I am about half way through my second year of super consistent training. I went from never doing any physical activity to training 5 - 7 days a week over the last two years. 

The Peloton got me going a couple of years ago and I was hooked after that. I quickly embraced power zones due to all the data that was used to measure the results. 

Well my last test on the 6th of June I set a new high score for myself because of my consistent efforts I continue to put in. 

I love data so I track all this on a spreadsheet of course. 

image.thumb.png.3b77ec35a31d0afdbcca9e8111d30090.png

It is crazy to look backwards at where we were when we started. Or watch what happens when we take a break and how far we fall when we do and how long it takes to get back to where we were. 

Stay consistent. Stay uncomfortable. When you do not want to do it just go through the motions. There are no excuses not to move. 

I have embraced power training in my running too and really enjoy working the data driven approaches as it takes my "feelings" out of the equation. 

Feel free to follow me on strava https://www.strava.com/athletes/68091450

I know that when I am looking at my friends activities on days I just am not feeling it. For some reason it reminds me that I need to get out there and just do it. 

Consistency has rewarded me in life, fitness, and business. It is the secret that no one wants anyone else to know. We just have to keep executing those tasks every day and we will get to wherever it is we are trying to go.  

• Like 2

I have to ask, because I have never been in the mindset to stick to something... How do you not get bored? I always had trouble sticking to a workout routine because I get bored easily. I would much rather get my exercise in being productive so I make use of cleaning, yard work, and things like that because I feel like I am getting something done so I don't get bored. 

• Like 1

This is true for anything really. Like when you are trying to learn a new skill, you want to be consistent with it so you improve. I know several people who are into drawing and art and just a few years back compared to what they can make now, it is mind-blowing! That is what being consistent can do. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Mila said:

I have to ask, because I have never been in the mindset to stick to something... How do you not get bored? I always had trouble sticking to a workout routine because I get bored easily. I would much rather get my exercise in being productive so I make use of cleaning, yard work, and things like that because I feel like I am getting something done so I don't get bored. 

Boredom is a mindset. So you have to find joy in things over time. I used to listen to music or an audio book when I was out running or cycling but I was unable to find a great pair of headphones that worked perfect and would stay in my ears at all different kinds of intensities. So one day I just stopped using the earbuds. The first couple weeks were pretty boring. Then I started to hear the birds, the sound of my breath, my feet hitting the ground (when I'm running), the sound of tires rolling across gravel, and all the things going on in the world around you. 

I started to learn exercise time is time to focus. I follow a power zone training methodology so it is all about holding a zone for a certain amount of time. That is what you need to be focused on. Working on making that as efficient as it can be. So you start to find things to do while you are cycling or running that can improve performance over time by making your body more efficient. 

Indoor cycling does get to me after 90 minutes or so. Right now in the Phoenix area it is pretty damn hot and I do not really enjoy waking up early and have other evening activities that are not very conducive to exercise so I just have to go out by 9-10am and get it done. I am still running outside but that's because my longest runs of the week right now are typically an hour. When I want to go on a bike ride outside that is more of a 4 - 6 hour affair. So I am back to cycling inside but yeah I would be super bored sitting on a indoor bike for 4 - 6 hours in a row without any changing scenery or the ability to look at a map to see how far you have gone. 

With my outdoor running I do change up my loop every now and then but then I do tend to gravitate back to my original loop I made myself when I started running. So changing scenery can make the grind a little more enjoyable. 

You just need to actively think of ways to not think of being bored. Eventually you do so much repetition your body expects you to do the activity and if you don't you will be in a grumpy mood. Boredom is a temporary feeling just like pain that will go away over time. You just need to remember the reward is on the other side of suffering so need to fight to get over that hump and you may find yourself with a new healthy addiction. 

Im not going to lie. I am super proud that I have been consistent now for almost 2 years. When Peloton gives me my 104 week badge I am going to be ecstatic. Some days though are a battle. I am not a machine and sometimes you just are not feeling it. I was having one of those days today. When I start thinking negative thoughts like that I just remind myself I need to go through the motions. That is why I have a routine, so I do not need to think and I can just do. Every time I don't want to do the work out and I just get started I ease into it and eventually hit what I had planned for myself that day.  It's about more then having a great body and low body fat. We are developing mental toughness every time we put ourselves though a bit of discomfort. 

So when I start coming up with reasons why I should not do something I remind myself that is when I need it the most. When my mind is trying to tell me no is when I need to tell it yes. 

I hope that helped a little bit. I am struggling with getting my kids into a steady routine and they talk about boredom too and I remind them that is all in their head. Your perception is your reality. It is just something we need to learn to fight off and get through so we can make it to the other side. 

5 hours ago, Scarlett said:

This is true for anything really. Like when you are trying to learn a new skill, you want to be consistent with it so you improve. I know several people who are into drawing and art and just a few years back compared to what they can make now, it is mind-blowing! That is what being consistent can do. 

Yes this is the secret to EVERYTHING. In business I make myself task lists of things that I need to do every single day to grow some aspect of the enterprise. I consistently execute on these tasks like clock work and eventually things line up and the rewards start to roll in. We need to be consistent but at the same time we need to remember to challenge ourselves every now and then and keep raising the bar. If we start feeling comfortable in whatever we are doing it is time to step up our game. 

Get comfortable being uncomfortable and you will reap the rewards from consistent effort.  

• Like 2

On 6/15/2021 at 3:17 PM, James said:

Boredom is a mindset. So you have to find joy in things over time. I used to listen to music or an audio book when I was out running or cycling but I was unable to find a great pair of headphones that worked perfect and would stay in my ears at all different kinds of intensities. So one day I just stopped using the earbuds. The first couple weeks were pretty boring. Then I started to hear the birds, the sound of my breath, my feet hitting the ground (when I'm running), the sound of tires rolling across gravel, and all the things going on in the world around you. 

I started to learn exercise time is time to focus. I follow a power zone training methodology so it is all about holding a zone for a certain amount of time. That is what you need to be focused on. Working on making that as efficient as it can be. So you start to find things to do while you are cycling or running that can improve performance over time by making your body more efficient. 

Indoor cycling does get to me after 90 minutes or so. Right now in the Phoenix area it is pretty damn hot and I do not really enjoy waking up early and have other evening activities that are not very conducive to exercise so I just have to go out by 9-10am and get it done. I am still running outside but that's because my longest runs of the week right now are typically an hour. When I want to go on a bike ride outside that is more of a 4 - 6 hour affair. So I am back to cycling inside but yeah I would be super bored sitting on a indoor bike for 4 - 6 hours in a row without any changing scenery or the ability to look at a map to see how far you have gone. 

With my outdoor running I do change up my loop every now and then but then I do tend to gravitate back to my original loop I made myself when I started running. So changing scenery can make the grind a little more enjoyable. 

You just need to actively think of ways to not think of being bored. Eventually you do so much repetition your body expects you to do the activity and if you don't you will be in a grumpy mood. Boredom is a temporary feeling just like pain that will go away over time. You just need to remember the reward is on the other side of suffering so need to fight to get over that hump and you may find yourself with a new healthy addiction. 

Im not going to lie. I am super proud that I have been consistent now for almost 2 years. When Peloton gives me my 104 week badge I am going to be ecstatic. Some days though are a battle. I am not a machine and sometimes you just are not feeling it. I was having one of those days today. When I start thinking negative thoughts like that I just remind myself I need to go through the motions. That is why I have a routine, so I do not need to think and I can just do. Every time I don't want to do the work out and I just get started I ease into it and eventually hit what I had planned for myself that day.  It's about more then having a great body and low body fat. We are developing mental toughness every time we put ourselves though a bit of discomfort. 

So when I start coming up with reasons why I should not do something I remind myself that is when I need it the most. When my mind is trying to tell me no is when I need to tell it yes. 

I hope that helped a little bit. I am struggling with getting my kids into a steady routine and they talk about boredom too and I remind them that is all in their head. Your perception is your reality. It is just something we need to learn to fight off and get through so we can make it to the other side. 

You know, you got the tight mindset for this. I always feel like when I get bored with something, it is more a less me not feeling invested in what I am doing. I guess once you start to see results, it becomes less of a chore and more of a commitment to yourself. I have heard that music makes things easier with working out and doing repetitive tasks, I will have to give it a try. 

• Like 1

As I tell my kids. Mindset is everything. If you even think you dislike an activity you know what you are going to dislike it. Our brain is evil and I have to argue with mine all the time. Looking at my results I can see what happens when I take a "break" and I never want to fall that far again. Every day it is about building just a little bit more. 

A majority of my workouts are not super intense. We are talking 140 - 150 heart rate stuff for 60 - 120 minutes. Its not like I go out and ping the max every day. 

I make sure to have 1 or 2 activities a week that take me above my current fitness level and then the rest all stay below. I make sure to update that fitness level on a regular basis. 

Training with data has really changed the game for me. I am an investor, entrepreneur, and business owner so I love graphs and looking at data. Being able to SEE your hard work drive your forward and get better results then in the past it keeps you going. 

Plus the other benefits keep me going too. I feel like I have better focus, motivation, energy, sleep, diet, and just feel good. I knew I was hooked when one day I decided to skip my bike ride and my wife suggested I go work out because I was grumpy. Sounded like withdraws from nicotine :P. Sure enough worked out even though I didn't feel like it and I felt better. 

Today when running for the first time I got to experience rain fall while running and it was great the way the sound of my feet hitting the ground changed, the sounds of thunder in the sky, the sound of rain hitting the asphalt and all the new smells that were around. It is strange the joys we can find when we are out there just grinding away. 

Just need to find a way to enjoy the grind and remember you don't need to kill yourself every work out. Just get in the endurance or tempo zone and go. 

On 6/15/2021 at 3:17 PM, James said:

Yes this is the secret to EVERYTHING. In business I make myself task lists of things that I need to do every single day to grow some aspect of the enterprise. I consistently execute on these tasks like clock work and eventually things line up and the rewards start to roll in. We need to be consistent but at the same time we need to remember to challenge ourselves every now and then and keep raising the bar. If we start feeling comfortable in whatever we are doing it is time to step up our game. 

Get comfortable being uncomfortable and you will reap the rewards from consistent effort.  

I like that. Getting comfortable being uncomfortable. I remember a while back I was talking to a business owner and he told me that he only found his success because he was willing to put himself in uncomfortable situations and overcome them. 

• Thanks 1