Is there money in pictures?

I always see places online offering photos of different things for a paid price be it one payment for the picture or a subscription to access more than one picture. I guess the idea is that people are buying photos from others to use commercially for sites, blogs, and so on. Do people earn good money doing this? Is it worth trying?

If you are a photographer this is a great option to monetize your work. You are able to work with the big players such as Shutterstock and every time someone uses your photo you get a small royalty I think. There are plenty of other sites to upload your photos to so you can do the same thing. 

Much like any other business you just need to keep scaling your photos out and make sure you are taking pictures of things that are in demand. Plenty of people are out there buying photos to stay legal as the big players are constantly suing people that are not playing by the rules. 

I think if you were able to build up a decent sized portfolio of great images this is one of those passive income enterprises that works great. Once you take the photo and upload it that photo will earn into perpetuity and your job will just be getting more photos to put up. 

Any photographers out there currently monetizing their work this way? 

• Like 1

A friend of mine started out taking stock photos and selling them online. She didn't earn much but she had fun doing it in her spare time. She eventually started offering her services to family and friends. People started to hire her for events like weddings and baby showers. I think it is a good idea to have some kind of online portfolio to show off your work regardless of weather or not you decide to just do standard stock photography or run a business. 

• Like 1

I am sure there is but you need to be able to find a platform that maximizes your reach and you have to offer pictures people want or need. I think nature pictures do the best but another growing one is food. If you can get beautiful pictures of food items and meals, I am sure bloggers would buy those up. 

• Like 1