Should I get the tooth removed or do a root canal and put a crown on?

Brenden

I found out I have an abscess tooth that will need to either be taken out, or I'd have to get a root canal and put a crown on it. I really don't want to do either, but it seems I'm stuck having to do so. Anyway, is getting a root canal and a crown on a good idea? Or should I just get the tooth taken out? I just don't want to deal with any further issues with that area. Any suggestions? 

• Like 1

I have never had a root canal. I can't really speak on it. Nor have I had a tooth removed. I think root canals are a temporary fix. Eventually without the root, your tooth will lose nutrients and chip and rot away to the point where it will eventually need to be removed. This can be 10+ years from now though. If you were to remove it entirely now, you could also get an implant or a fixed bridge. 

• Like 1

What I heard about root canals is that they can save the tooth, but they have to go in and drill out the damage. They then fill it with your standard filling, and then they will schedule you an appointment to put a crown on it, to better protect the tooth. 

Never had one myself, but I have had cavities. 

• Like 1

I have only ever had cavities but a filling fell out and it was when I was uninsured so it decayed a fair amount. I am hoping it can be saved with a crown and no root canal has to take place. It freaks me out to have a nerve removed like that. 

• Like 1