Storage container houses

Justin89

I'm sure you are aware that some people make houses out of those metal storage containers. I have considered the idea myself, but I figure it wouldn't really work all that well for me. Plus I hear it's hard to insulate and can be hot during the hot days and cold during cold days. So idk if it's a great idea or not. I think it'd be fun to try building a home with a few. Would you ever?

• Like 1

Storage container homes are pretty neat. It is a great method to recycle those old containers. I think you are able to insulate them. If you live in some of the more extreme climates like I do (Phoenix, AZ area) I don't know how well it would work out. Reading about the topic if you need lots of insulation you are going to have to build the wall out a little deeper to provide enough space which will eat up room. If you are using multiple containers for your project though that should not be to much of an issue. 

Apparently they are using shipping containers to build homes and commercial areas in the desert down here: https://www.12news.com/article/news/local/valley/shipping-containers-are-being-used-to-build-residential-and-commercial-properties-in-phoenix/75-537742925.

HGTV does have a show on the topic and people have built some pretty amazing things https://www.hgtv.com/shows/container-homes

Would I try building this way? Maybe if the price made sense but it would be hard to get my wife onboard. I like the idea of recycling these containers though because there are so many of them just sitting on lots all around the nation. 

Does anyone have any first hand experience working with shipping containers to build residential or commercial space? 

I love the concept of them but I do wonder how long they will last. I mean, depending on where you live, you would likely need to invest in constant upkeep. Even full size modern houses don't last as long as they once did. I think most houses that have been built in the more recent years (1980's to today) have been designed with flaws. I think houses being built now, especially when working with the best contractors, are the best but I just don't know about storage containers. I can't see them lasting very long even if the best builder is on the job. 

• Like 1

I hear it's just as expensive, or even more expensive than building a traditional house the same size and such. I love the idea of building with a storage container, but I think I'd just use one container and make a nice small space for myself. I don't know if I'd live in one for long though. 

14 hours ago, Stacey said:

I love the concept of them but I do wonder how long they will last. I mean, depending on where you live, you would likely need to invest in constant upkeep. Even full size modern houses don't last as long as they once did. I think most houses that have been built in the more recent years (1980's to today) have been designed with flaws. I think houses being built now, especially when working with the best contractors, are the best but I just don't know about storage containers. I can't see them lasting very long even if the best builder is on the job. 

With storage container houses, the upkeep isn't much to my understanding. It's fairly simple, just keep it clean and it should be fine. I think most people also weather proof it so it doesn't rust on the outside. But some also put siding on the building to cover up the metal. 

• Like 1