How To Overcome Fear Of Falling

TopicStarter

Someone who has a fear of falling suffers from heightened anxiety due to the possibility of falling and its consequences. Also known as basophobia, this fear is often experienced by people having any long-term neural disorders like Parkinson’s disease. Also, it might become prevalent in certain people as they age.

Living with a constant fear of tripping or stumbling can be really frustrating and could take a toll on your mental health. In some cases, it might be an aftereffect of being on multiple medications for a long time that makes you lightheaded. 

Whatever might be the cause, I just want you to know that you are not alone. Here is my take on how to cope with the fear of falling:

#1 Address all possible hazards and risks: if you’ve frequently been falling, then try to get to the heart of the situation. The reasons might be internal, related to your wellbeing or external, influenced by your surroundings.

Ask yourself after having a fall, were you being too hasty, were you dizzy or the floor was too cluttered. Staying aware of these things will help you get to the heart of the matter, and you’ll start looking at things objectively. A little perspective can go a long way, beating anxious thoughts and fears.

#2 Wear comfortable shoes: I know it seems trivial, but it's the little things combined together that lead to better results in the bigger picture. So, wear footwear that is comfortable and easy to navigate in. Avoid high heels at all costs, but if you really want that elevation go for the platform ones. 

#3 Plan out your movement: one way to keep your fear in check is by planning out your movement and possible tripping in advance. Be alert while walking and watch out for any possible obstacles in the way. What's more, prepare in advance how you will ask for help when you fall. This will give you a sense of control, allowing you to quickly get up even after falling. 

#4 Set small goals: overcoming a fear, especially one that you have no control over, can be really challenging. That’s why it is important to be patient and trust the process. Set small goals and try to achieve them with an open mind, without pressuring yourself.

#5 Challenge your thoughts: sometimes, negative thoughts can significantly alter your perception of reality. Whenever your mind tells you that you're going to fall, challenge it with a positive perspective. 

Have you ever had a fear of falling? What steps did you take to overcome it?

• Like 1

I am a very clumsy person so I never go up too high on something. I once was asked to go on this higher shelf in a stock room at work and almost passed out. I got so dizzy. I am not sure why I am like this, I don't have a strong fear of heights or anything.

• Like 1