Do you think someone can grow up proper without going to school?

Justin89

A friend of mine was home schooled his whole life, he didn't experience going to school, seeing kids most of the time, and so much more. Do you think someone can grow up proper without going to a school? I mean, even a private school or something. I feel like not going to school, will result in socialization issues. I think everyone should experience what it's like to go to a public school. I think going to a school with others, is part of our growing process, it's how we learn to socialize, how to be human essentially. 

I think with home schooling, you're also stuck behind your parents opinions and such. 

What do you think?

• Like 1

I think the strongest value of the public education system is socializing my children with people from all walks of life. 

I did not want to put them in private school or a christian school because I wanted them to be well rounded and have a broad understanding of what real life is like. 

I think pre school - 12th grade is very a very important time in the overall development of a child. If they are to sheltered when they go off on their own they are going to run into more situations they have never dealt with and without the security of parents. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think there is a difference between being sheltered and just getting home schooled. 

If a parent intends on doing homeschooling, they need to ensure that they are getting their children out in the world and socializing with other kids. This can be done by joining local kids/youth groups. Things like boys/girls scouts, church groups, after school activities (many schools are open to allowing home-schooled kids to partake), and so on.

• Like 1